Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Gila Wilderness Unit 16B

Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Spike

Sorry lars...I think I will hold onto the tag! HAHA. I was fortunate to talk with elk a couple nights ago. He gave me some great tips (duct tape, sunscreen, air mattress, etc.). What other tips do you all have for hunting the Gila?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

After talking to him I thought about asking..lol but with his excitement I doubt money would even pry that tag from his hands.

Originally Posted by Larswildu
I believe he shouldn't waste his time hunting this year with the drought, he should sign the tag over to me so I could waste my time.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Spike

Elk..I am glad we are on the same page! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity...grandfather, father, and son! Three generations and three 300 class bulls! HAHA
Old 06-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Spike

Should be a good hunt for you. I've never hunted it, but the units around it are great so you should have a good time. Good Luck!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tsarge15
Sorry lars...I think I will hold onto the tag! HAHA. I was fortunate to talk with elk a couple nights ago. He gave me some great tips (duct tape, sunscreen, air mattress, etc.). What other tips do you all have for hunting the Gila?
are you packing in or hunting out of camp?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Spike

We are packing in on horses and setting up a spike camp.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

I'm certainly not the best elk hunter in the world but here are a few tips I have learned over the years.

first it makes no sense at all to be wasting time hunting elk where they are few and where theres little chance of seeing one!
do your homework, talk to the game and fish biologist and game wardens. don,t ignore the low elevations, if theres good water and cover elk can and do go into rolling hills and even creek bottoms at times.
elk can cover a vast area especially prior too and during the rut, you need to locate the herds, and hunt the areas the herd is currently in that day to be successful on a regular basis
you need to move camp and follow the herds.
locate the water and food sources, especially in dry areas as this tends to hold the herds to some extent at least during part of the day locate natural travel restrictors, like rivers,canyons,highways, high fence lines, saddles on ridges, steep cliffs etc.... while they may not stop elk they tend to route the herds watch the wind and stay out of prime bedding areas or you'll be likely to push the herd out of your immediate area don"t push the cows a bull may circle, spook a cow badly and she may travel to the next drainage. Start practicing your elk calling now. glass constantly, travel light, be prepared to move as needed. boots that fit, and have good ankle support are extremely important. learn to use topo maps they can give you a good deal of info if you understand elk.
generally north and east facing slopes and thick timber will be where elk hang out rather than the more open and less timbered south and west facing slopes no matter what physical shape you think your in it's often not enough. constant walking at 7000-11000 ft of altitude are common to elk hunting. I carry a good military poncho with a liner which is typically what I use to sleep in. Don't get caught up in the trophy madness a lot of hunters get caught up in and end up not taking an animal enjoy your hunt and if you like what you see take it.

have fun and good luck
Old 06-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Spike

LARS...I surely appreciate all of your tips and advice. I am extremely excited to get out there. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I have heard from multiple sources that it is important to walk, walk, walk, especially with your pack. I am definitely going to do that!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Spike

Do you know where you will be going in at and where you will be setting up base camp? Who are you using for the mules?

I consider the Wilderness as my home unit. I hunt deer, elk when I or a friend is lucky enough to draw and spring turkey every year. During spring turkey I often see well over 200 elk and find some pretty nice sheds. A couple years ago my BIL drew out and he got a couple shots at a 370"+ class bull. The thing was huge and I think he is still out there. Backpacking in this year for second rifle.

Let me know I will try to point you in the right direction.

sanjuanfly
Old 07-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Spike

san...we are going with Gary Webb Outfitters. As for the exact location I am not 100% sure. I will try to look into it more. Thanks for your help. Good luck during rifle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.