Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Gila Wilderness Unit 16B

Old 06-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

We camped around 7,000 feet, and hunted around 8,000 feet.

16B is higher than most of the other 16's I believe.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:37 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice, guys. Keep it coming!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

tsarge,

I believe we spoke last night, if you like, do a search under my user name of "Threads Started" you will read the positives of 2009 and the issues of 2010 (which you shouldn't have since your hunting with someone else)

The pics are posted on the threads as well
Rob
Old 06-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

You better hope they stop that wallow Fire in Arizona and burn up 16b. It's already taken two of the best elk hunting units in Arizona.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

Not sure 16B is in danger from the Wallow Fire. Though there are some spot fires near Diamond Creek, but nothing to be overly concerned about at this point.

The first year I went out 15,000 acres was burning during the summer, still plenty of ground to get lost in.

Originally Posted by Larswildu
You better hope they stop that wallow Fire in Arizona and burn up 16b. It's already taken two of the best elk hunting units in Arizona.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I suppose for this year if the fire doesn't stop that may be bad, but I've only heard good things about hunting burned areas...
Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
I suppose for this year if the fire doesn't stop that may be bad, but I've only heard good things about hunting burned areas...
Yes they move back into the area's almost immediately. Unfortunately with the drought we are currently having here in Arizona and New Mexico antler growth this year will not be nearly as good as the past few, if we get good moisture the next few years you could very well see some monster elk coming from those burned area's. Three years after the Rodeo/Chediski fire in 2002 (largest fire in the state until the now current Wallow fire) the area I live near there have been several 380 to 400 class elk taken even into the 2010 season.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Spike

Hey guys...i have been out of town all weekend. set up some trot lines and caught some nice blue and channel cats. anyways...elkhuntinut i will check out your posts. Thanks again for chatting with me the other night. The fire is definitely a concern at this point. I was not aware that the lack of moisture affects antler growth. That is a little discouraging. Regardless I am sure there will be some big boys in there.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

Ya NM isn't looking too good this year on moisture...but of all the gila units I think I would want to hunt the wilderness in a dry year...it tends to be higher/wetter/greener.

It has been a dry spring, I really wouldn't worry though, what are you gonna do, not hunt? I don't think so.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

Ya NM isn't looking too good this year on moisture...but of all the gila units I think I would want to hunt the wilderness in a dry year...it tends to be higher/wetter/greener.

It has been a dry spring, I really wouldn't worry though, what are you gonna do, not hunt? I don't think so.
I believe he shouldn't waste his time hunting this year with the drought, he should sign the tag over to me so I could waste my time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.