Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Flattops Wilderness Area - Colorado Elk Hunting >

Flattops Wilderness Area - Colorado Elk Hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Flattops Wilderness Area - Colorado Elk Hunting

Old 06-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Spike

Default Flattops Wilderness Area - Colorado Elk Hunting

Anyone have any experience hunting elk in the Flattops Wilderness Area (White River National Forrest)?? I am looking for a different area and have read good things but nothing specific. I have heard that the hunting is good (for public land) but you've got to get back in there. I love backcountry DIY hunts so I'm kind of looking for the challenge. Would really just like to have a chance to see a few animals and have a great experience, harvesting is a distant third.

I have been looking at the Marvine Peaks area but to be honest I've never been there. Possibly looking at a scouting trip this August/September. Would be a rifle hunt for the first couple of years, maybe someday an archery hunt but not quite ready for that yet. I've also heard some things about going above Yampa but also not at all familiar with the area.

Would love any information you're willing to share. But also not trying to steal someone's honey hole.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted with Winterhawk Outfitters 3x's in the Flat Tops. All archery, tried 2x's to draw a muzzleloader tag, and was denied both even with 3 pts last year. Anyways its nice country, most of it is accessed by foot, or horseback only. Seen some nice bulls, but wouldn't say I saw alot of Elk. Easily had bulls if had a muzzleloader. My main issue with the areas of the Flat Tops I hunted is cattle. The local ranchers seem to put more, and more cattle into the area, and it doesn't mix well with Elk. To many times I had cattle spook bulls I was hunting. They are every where. In my opinion its ruining the hunting in that area. I know the ranchers have the cattle out by Oct.. but if you like to hunt early to catch the rut, and hear the bugles. I wouldn't get your hopes up. I myself am moving on to a new area, if that tells you anything.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:47 AM
Spike

Default winterhawk-flat tops wilderness area

spent a lot of time researching outfitters to book a guided archery hunt In 2012. settled on winterhawk. This was going to be my 1 trip of a lifetime, as I can't afford $4400 each year. Website stated that we would be hunting with an experienced Winterhawk guide. The guide we got was a guide from winterhawks guide school that had just concluded prior to archery season. He was from Argentina, and had never hunted elk in his life, and had absolutely no idea what to do once we got on any elk, which was only once in a 6 day hunt. Scenery was beautiful, and we had a good time. Just didn't get what I paid for. Its all about the benjamins with this outfitter!
Old 07-22-2013, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear that the outfitter and guide service was less than optimal. I, myself have had some bad experiences with some outfitters in the past. And you are correct, it is all about the benjamins when it comes to most outfitters. I have been wanting to do a drop camp elk hunt for a while but have not pulled the trigger on the trip for some of the same reasons that you just spoke about. Its tough to get a decent guide service for a reasonable price. I live too far away to make the trip myself on on a DIY hunt. So unfortunately, unless I get to know someone in the area that would not mind if I tag along and me paying my part of the trip provisions and camp, it probably will not happen soon.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Spike

Default White River Outfitters

May want to take a look at J Bar H outfitters. Jeanne Horn runs a top notch outfit from start to finish. We have done 5 drop camp hunts with them and our kill is always above 75% with a couple years 100% kill. Look at ther website and I am sure she is booked for this year and most of next and its mostly repeat clients. We will never hunt with another outiftter. Just my 2cents worth. Any questions just let me know.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Winterhawk has been around since the 80's. I hunted with them 3x's over a period of 6yrs. My first 2 trips were excellent. Awesome Guides, and family like treatment. My 3rd I noticed things changed. They had all new people in camp working, a lot less experience, and some were fresh outta the guide school. I was told it was due to the bad economy, and they were having a hard time paying for top guides, so decided to start using ones right out of their guide school. So what you experienced is exactly what I found, and was told my last time there. Its too bad as they were a top notched outfit, but I also can understand the hurt the economy has put on such businesses. Hopefully they keep it together, and rebound in the future. It is a beautiful area.