HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Non-Draw big game states (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/345297-non-draw-big-game-states.html)

dac12 06-02-2011 08:21 AM

Non-Draw big game states

Hey guys I'm trying to make a list of states where the majority of big game tags are OTC. I figured I'd ask on here and everyone could add a state or two.

guess I'll start:
New Jersey
New York
Pennsylvania
Maine

skb2706 06-02-2011 08:45 AM

Since the majority of my state is draw license for big game I will add this.

The reason we have drawing is to limit the number of people who desire to hunt a certain species, in a certain area of a certain sex. Without drawings any really good place to hunt deer/elk/antelope here in CO would be decimated in the first season. We call it management.

So we didn't make your list.................

Alltlk4 06-03-2011 09:11 AM

I agree with you on managment skb2706, however Colorado does have plenty of non draw hunts. Bull Elk has unlimited rifle tags for second rifle for most units and OTC archery elk tags for cow and bull for many units as well.

skb2706 06-03-2011 10:40 AM

In CO all deer and antelope licenses are "draw only" 100%. The best elk GMUs are also draw only. They remain the "best" because they are draw only.

halfbakedi420 06-03-2011 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by skb2706 (Post 3813549)
Since the majority of my state is draw license for big game I will add this.

The reason we have drawing is to limit the number of people who desire to hunt a certain species, in a certain area of a certain sex. Without drawings any really good place to hunt deer/elk/antelope here in CO would be decimated in the first season. We call it management.

So we didn't make your list.................

dang dude. no need to get huffy bout it. some are draw and some aint. mngmnt is good, noone sayin it aint. we have 5 deer counties here..just depends how depleted the resorces get.
he just makin a list, help or move along. good day

halfbakedi420 06-03-2011 11:37 AM

Texas is a no draw. think we get 5 wt tags, 4turkey, 2 mulies, a red drum and maybe im fergettin sum, but thats all the tags i ever used.

Alltlk4 06-03-2011 12:15 PM

Yes I knew Antelope and Mule deer were all draw for all manners of take for Colorado. I was speaking of Elk cause I knew that they were not all draw. I have seen Elk every year and took 2 in 4 years. Saw a great 6 x 6 and guy in our group took a 5 x 5. They are out there, just got to look. I know the unit I go we have had great success.

Missouri only has Whitetail for now, no draw. Come see us anytime. We just reintroduced Elk, so cross your fingers that they do well but I hear that will always be draw.

aaalaska 06-03-2011 01:01 PM

I think bison ,elk & muskox ,are the only game that is draw only here.Black bear, Grizzly bear, Caribou,Dall sheep, Deer, Moose,Mountain goat ,Wolf. Are all, available either OTC or in registration hunts. But nonres are required to have a guide while hunting sheep ,goat or grizzly. I should note that the are draw hunts for most species in areas that get a lot of pressure, like the caribou in unit 13, or the coastal brown bears, and many others. The state is divided into26 GMU's and all of them are subdivided, with each having different regs,our current reg book is 128 pages long, and to understand it you need a really good map of the state.
Alex

dac12 06-03-2011 08:06 PM

thanks for the info so far guys

FC Hunter 06-28-2011 08:10 PM

virginia gets 3turkey 1bear 6whitetail (can buy more)