HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   first time goat hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/345180-first-time-goat-hunt.html)

lineman1779 05-29-2011 03:24 PM

first time goat hunt

my name is jared from wisconsin and have applied eastern wyoming goat. just looking for any info, tips, and anything that will help us to be successful

Colorado Bob 06-02-2011 04:16 PM

Don't shoot the 1st one you see. Lots of antelope in WY. If you blow a stalk don't worry-----more goats around the next bend.

Horns--------use the ear as a guide. Prongs should be above the ear & horn should be at least twice as long the ear.

Get the hide off as quick as you can. You need to cool the meat as quick as you can. If you want to mount the head----get it frozen, caped or to the taxidermist as quick as possible. The hair will really slip on an antelope.

Antelope hunting is just plain FUN-----Have a ball----Good luck. CB

country1 06-02-2011 07:30 PM

Unlike deer, antelope do not care to jump fences. They are not as graceful while running, but they can run faster than deer.

lineman1779 06-03-2011 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado Bob (Post 3813653)
Don't shoot the 1st one you see. Lots of antelope in WY. If you blow a stalk don't worry-----more goats around the next bend.

Horns--------use the ear as a guide. Prongs should be above the ear & horn should be at least twice as long the ear.

Get the hide off as quick as you can. You need to cool the meat as quick as you can. If you want to mount the head----get it frozen, caped or to the taxidermist as quick as possible. The hair will really slip on an antelope.

Antelope hunting is just plain FUN-----Have a ball----Good luck. CB

thanx for the feedback how about gear that will be needed and gear that may be needed

Wheatley 06-06-2011 09:46 AM

Lots of Cactus out there in some areas. Good boots and pants are a good idea. Good glass, spotting scope, binos. Practice shots out to 400 if you are comfortable taking them. If you have a range finder it is nice to have as well but not needed. If it is hot bring lots of ice to cool them down. Other then that just a gun and some bullets will do.

Colorado Bob 06-08-2011 03:41 PM

lineman------Knee pads & leather gloves are a good suggestion. Take a good pair of binco's & spotting scope. Remember they have good eye sight but they are curious also. Sometimes a small white flag blowing in the breeze will bring one in.

Really no real tips-----you know how to hunt & shoot. Takes all it takes.

Have fun.

lineman1779 06-12-2011 01:46 PM

thanks for everything

lineman1779 06-17-2011 08:24 AM

can you tell me about any extra tags we can get

Topgun 3006 06-17-2011 08:36 AM

The leftover tag list will be posted on the F&G website after the draw late this month. Just go on there and see what is available for the area you want to hunt. If there are tags available they will be on sale first-come first-serve on July 6 for buck tags and the 20th for doe/fawn tags. The doe/fawn tags are real cheap, but the buck tags will be full price and all lack the $14 application fee they charge in the initial draw.

lineman1779 06-19-2011 11:33 AM

how many can i get. im am told that i will only get about 40lbs of meat on a good size animal. just looking for meat.