Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.270 medicine for moose?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a very true statement IMO.
It was taken out of the link that Muley Hunter posted.

HFF, look at what the rest of the world uses to hunt similar sized and tough animals (6.5X55mm, 7mm Mauser, .303 Britt, etc...)and you will quickly realize that Americans are about the only ones that are hung up on 'needing' magnums to kill animals.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Velocity kills

It is all about the velocity.

Kinectic energy= mass x velocity squared / 2

If you double the mass the energy doubles

If you double the velocity the energy quadruples

It is the energy of the projectile that determines the terminal effect in gunshot wounds

That is why the .357 magnum is so devastating. Medium caliber bullet but very hot and very very deadly.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Spike

if you were interested in like cheap ammo thats also bulk go to ammunitionstore.com
Old 06-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

If Velocity kills then why do animals expire after being shot with arrows from slow moving bows or being shot from hard cast bullets moving at slow to moderate velocities? Velocity and Energy are only part of the equation. Proper shot placement is what kills. More accurately destroying the heart or lungs ability to function or even the central nervous system is what kills an animal.
You only need a bullet that is accurate enough and will stay together so it can hit the vitals. You need enough velocity and enough energy to penetrate to the vitals. I will agree that using a caliber that has more than enough of both to penetrate through dense bone or angling shots.

Last edited by Palladin8; 06-10-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Velocity is only part of the equation. My .17 shoots a bullet at near 3000 fps, but won't be using it on game other than varmits.

You need both, the reason the 357 mag is a great SHORT RANGE weapon is that it throws a over 100 gr bullet at pretty fast velocities (although about 1/2 the speed of the 270)

Big ass, relatively slow bullets kill without a doubt. My muzzleloader is proof of that.

The trick is to find a happy medium between size of bullet and speed that matches the game you are after.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

You guys are pretty funny arguing simple physics.

First off an arrow kills by hemorrhage, not the same as a bullet.
The way a bullet destroys the lungs heart and nervous system as stated is by energy deposition and the resulting temporary cavity created by a bullet. Surely you have seen a ballistic gel shot and the resulting disruption of the gel at distance from the actual bullet path. This is a direct result of the energy of the bullet. Do you need a fast bullet to kill? No, you can kill with a slow pointy stick as eluded to. That was not the question was it? It was about the .270 being bad medicine for moose.

As for your varmint gun slinging rounds at 3000 fps, that would be devastating on anything you shoot with it if the bullet will stay together. However, I doubt that a light varmit bullet will maintain those high velocities at distance. That is the nice thing about heavy bullets, they will maintain their velocity over distance.

Speaking of varmit rounds, the military and police fight with small high velocity bullets. They get it.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
The Hornady Interbond is another good bullet for elk and moose and the .270 with the proper bonded bullet will more than do the job for you up there if you put it in the boilerroom. Anybody who says a .270 or 30-06 aren't enough gun for moose (or elk) probably has never even hunted them and is reading magazine articles to give their opinion!

Figure this one out...

My 7mmRemMag ISN'T enough for elk! At least thats what I was told. But I know better
Old 06-14-2011, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pahntr760
Figure this one out...

My 7mmRemMag ISN'T enough for elk! At least thats what I was told. But I know better
LMAO!!!! That is just too funny! I have killed several elk with my 280rem. without any problems, a 7mm mag is more than enough gun for a elk or moose. I work at a taxidermy shop, I see animals that come in all the time, you would be suprised to see how many elk I have seen taken with a 243. Shot placement is more important than caliber, you can be shooting a 460 Weatherby, if you make a bad shot chances are you will lose the animal, that doesnt mean you didnt have enough gun.

Last edited by fritz1; 06-14-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use early 1800 technology, and do fine.

Anybody who can't kill a moose with a .270 needs to to the range, and learn to shoot. Even though I think it's just a bit light. It will still do the job with the right shot placement, and bullet.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

A 150 grain Winchester Power-Point or Remmy Core-Lokt will kill your Moose just fine. Premiums are nice but unnecessary at speeds below 3,000 fps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.