Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana: Buyers remorse?

Old 05-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Montana: Buyers remorse?

I was one that dropped out of considering Montana when they raised the price yet again. Power to you if you bought one and hope you get a big one!

However, I suspect that the 75% of hunters that come home without an elk this year will think hard next year before forking over that much money. Will be curious to see if that happens.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't apply this year, mainly because I don't / can't hunt elk this year as time allows, and I wanted to send them a message as well, I will probably apply next year for a limited entry tag, if I draw a general and not the limited I'll be returning my tag for a 80% refund!

The price will probably be somewhat lower next year, but I suspect something like from over 900 down to like $850...

Perhaps I'll just apply for elk, instead of the big game combo(deer and elk)

if they allowed non-residents to only apply for limited entry tags I'm sure more would apply, but that wouldn't help general tag sales.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why would they lower the price, they sold all their tags?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hope Montana chokes on the profit.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Why would they lower the price, they sold all their tags?
Finally sold all their tags? I haven't been following, I know they didn't have enough applications to draw all the tags the first time around.

I believe each year the price of the outfitter tag has changed due to the previous year's demand, etc...

I'm quite certain they don't want leftover tags again next year...so it would be my guess that the tag will be cheaper next year. Only time will tell.

Of course they have talked about eliminated the requirement for non-res to first draw a general tag in order to apply for a limited tag, if they finally change this, the whole system could change things for MT.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

The left over tags sold out in a couple of days.............
Old 05-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by txhunter58
I was one that dropped out of considering Montana when they raised the price yet again. Power to you if you bought one and hope you get a big one!

However, I suspect that the 75% of hunters that come home without an elk this year will think hard next year before forking over that much money. Will be curious to see if that happens.
I think it will largely depend on the type of experience folks have. Most come out to Montana for a chance at a bull, but primarily to be in the mountains and enjoy all that the state has to offer. I would say that most folks consider a bull a "bonus" or "icing on the cake". Those doing the deer/elk combo are not paying anymore than they would in Colorado. If a hunter has the time and utilizes all the combo tags offer, he can have the hunt of a lifetime, elk in the west, mule deer in the east, along with great fly fishing and outstanding bird hunting. I understand not all have the kind of time, but many do.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Finally sold all their tags? I haven't been following, I know they didn't have enough applications to draw all the tags the first time around.

I believe each year the price of the outfitter tag has changed due to the previous year's demand, etc...

I'm quite certain they don't want leftover tags again next year...so it would be my guess that the tag will be cheaper next year. Only time will tell.

Of course they have talked about eliminated the requirement for non-res to first draw a general tag in order to apply for a limited tag, if they finally change this, the whole system could change things for MT.
Tags will not be cheaper, and more than likely they will sell them all out again next year. Now that folks realize the draw odds in Montana are extremely high, I suspect even more will put in next year.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Spike

can anyone tell me how the deer hunting is around trout creek and thompson falls. i haven't been there in 20 years and wonder what the wolf impact has been. thanks
Old 05-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Spike

As long as Montana has the animals that people want to hunt, there will be people buying the tags regardless of cost. I also agree that when people do come here to hunt, it's the hunt, not neccessarily harvesting of the animal that sticks with them the most. All of the outfitters that i have personal contact with have built their business and their reputations on mostly return hunters. These are hunters that enjoyed their total Montana experience so much that they book with the same hunter year after year, whether they harvest or not, it's the hunt in it's entirety that brings you here.
I have friends from out of state that put in for their tags like clock work every year for diy hunts. They have a wonderful time here and have made lifelong friendships with many of the people that they have come across on their hunts here.
Bottom line is this i guess, yes it is expensive for a non resident to come here and hunt, but it's still way cheaper then a 5 day "vacation" to Disneyland or to Disneyworld. Just my 2 cents worth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.