Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana: Buyers remorse?

Old 05-05-2011, 05:51 PM
  #1  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kerrville, Tx. USA
Posts: 2,722
Default Montana: Buyers remorse?

I was one that dropped out of considering Montana when they raised the price yet again. Power to you if you bought one and hope you get a big one!

However, I suspect that the 75% of hunters that come home without an elk this year will think hard next year before forking over that much money. Will be curious to see if that happens.
txhunter58 is offline  
Old 05-05-2011, 08:01 PM
  #2  
Giant Nontypical
 
salukipv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 6,569
Default

I didn't apply this year, mainly because I don't / can't hunt elk this year as time allows, and I wanted to send them a message as well, I will probably apply next year for a limited entry tag, if I draw a general and not the limited I'll be returning my tag for a 80% refund!

The price will probably be somewhat lower next year, but I suspect something like from over 900 down to like $850...

Perhaps I'll just apply for elk, instead of the big game combo(deer and elk)

if they allowed non-residents to only apply for limited entry tags I'm sure more would apply, but that wouldn't help general tag sales.
salukipv1 is offline  
Old 05-06-2011, 04:39 AM
  #3  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kerrville, Tx. USA
Posts: 2,722
Default

Why would they lower the price, they sold all their tags?
txhunter58 is offline  
Old 05-06-2011, 05:06 AM
  #4  
Giant Nontypical
 
Muley Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,557
Default

I hope Montana chokes on the profit.
Muley Hunter is offline  
Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 AM
  #5  
Giant Nontypical
 
salukipv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 6,569
Default

Originally Posted by txhunter58 View Post
Why would they lower the price, they sold all their tags?
Finally sold all their tags? I haven't been following, I know they didn't have enough applications to draw all the tags the first time around.

I believe each year the price of the outfitter tag has changed due to the previous year's demand, etc...

I'm quite certain they don't want leftover tags again next year...so it would be my guess that the tag will be cheaper next year. Only time will tell.

Of course they have talked about eliminated the requirement for non-res to first draw a general tag in order to apply for a limited tag, if they finally change this, the whole system could change things for MT.
salukipv1 is offline  
Old 05-06-2011, 04:39 PM
  #6  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kerrville, Tx. USA
Posts: 2,722
Default

The left over tags sold out in a couple of days.............
txhunter58 is offline  
Old 05-07-2011, 09:30 AM
  #7  
Fork Horn
 
TwoBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beautiful Western Montana
Posts: 112
Default

Originally Posted by txhunter58 View Post
I was one that dropped out of considering Montana when they raised the price yet again. Power to you if you bought one and hope you get a big one!

However, I suspect that the 75% of hunters that come home without an elk this year will think hard next year before forking over that much money. Will be curious to see if that happens.
I think it will largely depend on the type of experience folks have. Most come out to Montana for a chance at a bull, but primarily to be in the mountains and enjoy all that the state has to offer. I would say that most folks consider a bull a "bonus" or "icing on the cake". Those doing the deer/elk combo are not paying anymore than they would in Colorado. If a hunter has the time and utilizes all the combo tags offer, he can have the hunt of a lifetime, elk in the west, mule deer in the east, along with great fly fishing and outstanding bird hunting. I understand not all have the kind of time, but many do.
TwoBear is offline  
Old 05-07-2011, 09:33 AM
  #8  
Fork Horn
 
TwoBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beautiful Western Montana
Posts: 112
Default

Originally Posted by salukipv1 View Post
Finally sold all their tags? I haven't been following, I know they didn't have enough applications to draw all the tags the first time around.

I believe each year the price of the outfitter tag has changed due to the previous year's demand, etc...

I'm quite certain they don't want leftover tags again next year...so it would be my guess that the tag will be cheaper next year. Only time will tell.

Of course they have talked about eliminated the requirement for non-res to first draw a general tag in order to apply for a limited tag, if they finally change this, the whole system could change things for MT.
Tags will not be cheaper, and more than likely they will sell them all out again next year. Now that folks realize the draw odds in Montana are extremely high, I suspect even more will put in next year.
TwoBear is offline  
Old 05-07-2011, 12:02 PM
  #9  
Spike
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13
Default

can anyone tell me how the deer hunting is around trout creek and thompson falls. i haven't been there in 20 years and wonder what the wolf impact has been. thanks
eyeball2 is offline  
Old 05-07-2011, 03:30 PM
  #10  
Spike
 
scottb3472's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 47
Default

As long as Montana has the animals that people want to hunt, there will be people buying the tags regardless of cost. I also agree that when people do come here to hunt, it's the hunt, not neccessarily harvesting of the animal that sticks with them the most. All of the outfitters that i have personal contact with have built their business and their reputations on mostly return hunters. These are hunters that enjoyed their total Montana experience so much that they book with the same hunter year after year, whether they harvest or not, it's the hunt in it's entirety that brings you here.
I have friends from out of state that put in for their tags like clock work every year for diy hunts. They have a wonderful time here and have made lifelong friendships with many of the people that they have come across on their hunts here.
Bottom line is this i guess, yes it is expensive for a non resident to come here and hunt, but it's still way cheaper then a 5 day "vacation" to Disneyland or to Disneyworld. Just my 2 cents worth.
scottb3472 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.