Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Moose Draw

Old 05-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Spike

Default Wyoming Moose Draw

Results are posted.

I drew a unit 20 tag with 11 points. Very glad to get off WY's $75/year treadmill. So nice to break my 3 year western hunting tag drought! Thinking of the mountains already. With turkey season here ending for me tomorrow it will be time to begin more serious training.

Anyone else do any good?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

waiting to hear about wy antelope, NM everything..., MT stuff...

good job!
we wanna see a big bull posted this fall from you Zim!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Glad you drew the tag, good luck on your hunt. I drew WY moose this year as well with 11 points, in unit 26.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats!
Hope you get one of the monsters roaming that area.
I'm still waiting till the week of June 20th to find out if I drew anything here in MT...

-South
Old 05-07-2011, 05:07 AM
Spike

congrats beech, You know how lucky you were to draw 26? Check, but I think there were like 18 new applicants for that unit this year so your chances were only like 33%.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah I know. Atleast we we're the lucky ones to get the tag. Hopefully the luck continues while hunting to find Old Man Bullwinkle.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Spike

Unit 20 stayed about the same, unit 23 dropped in applicants. You can bet some of those guys shifted to 26 due to the low harvest success in 23.

Have you ever moose hunted before? This will be my first time. Will be going solo, probably backpacking. I plan on lining up a packer to get my moose out. Got a few things going on now, but plan on calling the biologist next week.

I can't even figure out the seasons there. It's not clear on the WYF&G website. If it says Sept. 10 I think that means rifle, but we can bowhunt prior to that?
Old 05-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

I think 9/10 would be for archery. Rifle stated 10/1. At least it did back when I got my WY moose a couple years ago. You could hunt with either, no luck on bow then rifle after 10/1.

I rifled hunted. The outfitter had a nice bull near his camp all summer. An archery hunter shot it a couple days before rifle season started. I hunted hunt hard took a 36" bull on my next to last day in camp.

I hunted 24----out of Big Piney.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Each of those units in that area of Wyoming have alittle differnt opening day for moose. Some in Sept and some Oct 1. I know for example acouple years ago unit 23 rifle season was open during Sept. when I was there deer hunting in region G. Everyone I talked to when I was there said how the moose hunting went down hill in unit 23 recently so I too changed units to apply for. However, I did have a nice bull walk within 50 steps of my deer camp late one evening.

Im not no expect on moose hunting, worked as a sub guide for an outfitter afew times on his moose hunts to have a idea what to do. My father and I plan on base camp hunting with taking our spike camp with us if we find the need to spike out. I spoke to the bilogist before apply with general info and plan on calling him back soon as BLM maps arrive that I ordered. You got a good idea about hiring a packer. I plan on packing mine out ourselves but if it happens to be way back if we're spiking out Im not ruling out hiring a horse and packer.

Looking forward to the trip, hope yours goes well.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:35 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Was on Eastman's and somebody sent me a link. The rifle season in 20 actually opens on Sept. 10th and runs through Oct. 31. For an extra fee a guy can bowhunt just Sept. 1-9th. Kind of short for a seperate bow season. Anyway I've been advised not to hunt until it gets cold and the bulls come out rutting. If I draw the NM elk tag I expect, that will tie me up Sept. 12-22. So I expect I will do my elk hunt, then take a break and work in Denver until the weather gets cold enough for good moose hunting. Gotta call the biologist for the peak rut days. Anyone have an idea when that is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.