HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Sheep / Goat Hunt? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/343505-sheep-goat-hunt.html)

salukipv1 04-17-2011 09:49 AM

Sheep / Goat Hunt?

Who out there has hunted bighorn sheep or mountain goat?

Were you in sheep shape?

AK? Canada? Lower 48?

I'm trying to draw a goat tag this year, but with few pts it's mostly a crossing of the fingers year...

Without drawing the tag, it seems like the most reasonable sheep/goat hunts are in AK.

Share any of your stories...include the caliber used and shot distance.

elkdeerbear 04-21-2011 04:29 PM

What state are you sending for? I got 9 points for sheep and 9 points for goat. I'm a Colorado resident. Draw results are suppossed to be posted by May 6th. I shot a ewe sheep in 1998 on Pikes Peak. Used my 270 Winchester. 1 shot at about 60-70 yards. If I draw the sheep or goat tag this year I'll be using my 300 Remington Ultra Magnum with Nosler Partitions.

aaalaska 04-22-2011 07:05 PM

Problem with Ak sheep & goat require you to hire a guide, as a NR.
Alex

salukipv1 04-22-2011 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by aaalaska (Post 3801246)
Problem with Ak sheep & goat require you to hire a guide, as a NR.
Alex

chump change... :party0007:

haha oh just kidding!

I hear a reasonable dall sheep hunt in AK is $7k, which in the world of sheep hunting can be "cheap" I know some desert sheep hunts are $50k, I think some bighorn are $20k+

salukipv1 04-22-2011 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by elkdeerbear (Post 3800904)
What state are you sending for? I got 9 points for sheep and 9 points for goat. I'm a Colorado resident. Draw results are suppossed to be posted by May 6th. I shot a ewe sheep in 1998 on Pikes Peak. Used my 270 Winchester. 1 shot at about 60-70 yards. If I draw the sheep or goat tag this year I'll be using my 300 Remington Ultra Magnum with Nosler Partitions.

I apply for most states in the lower 48 with goats...CO not being one of them however due to the $2k up front per species, ie moose, goat, sheep to apply, and no credit cards accepted! one of these days CO will be added to the apply for.

elkdeerbear 04-23-2011 06:20 AM

You can use a credit card in Colorado if you apply online. I started applying online this year after doing it by mail the past 12 years.

salukipv1 04-23-2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by elkdeerbear (Post 3801350)
You can use a credit card in Colorado if you apply online. I started applying online this year after doing it by mail the past 12 years.

non-residents cannot apply online or use a CC to apply for sheep, moose, or goat.

npaden 04-23-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by salukipv1 (Post 3801267)
chump change... :party0007:

haha oh just kidding!

I hear a reasonable dall sheep hunt in AK is $7k, which in the world of sheep hunting can be "cheap" I know some desert sheep hunts are $50k, I think some bighorn are $20k+

Where did you find a guided Dall Sheep hunt for $7K?

Or a Bighorn hunt for $20K?

Thought both of those hunts were a LOT more expensive.

I'm applying for goats in Colorado, Idaho, and Utah this year.

Applied for Bighorn Sheep in New Mexico.

If I don't draw something in the next few years I will probably break down and go on a guided goat and moose combo hunt in British Columbia. Doing a little research I've found several folks doing goat/moose combo hunts for a little over $10K with good success rates.

Nothing cheap or easy about sheep or goat hunting.

salukipv1 04-23-2011 09:35 PM

Guess they are more than I thought, course they're always going up right? I see dall for $15k...and bighorns for $30k.

I think you can do a AK goat for $7k.

Originally Posted by npaden (Post 3801575)
Where did you find a guided Dall Sheep hunt for $7K?

Or a Bighorn hunt for $20K?

Thought both of those hunts were a LOT more expensive.

I'm applying for goats in Colorado, Idaho, and Utah this year.

Applied for Bighorn Sheep in New Mexico.

If I don't draw something in the next few years I will probably break down and go on a guided goat and moose combo hunt in British Columbia. Doing a little research I've found several folks doing goat/moose combo hunts for a little over $10K with good success rates.

Nothing cheap or easy about sheep or goat hunting.

Colorado Bob 04-26-2011 04:29 PM

I've hunt both sheep & goats here in Colorado. Bighorns were by Pagosa Springs---Wolf Creek Pass ------Goats were in G13----Missouri Peak, Mtn Huron, Iowa Peak.

I used my 30/06 topped with a Leupold 2.5x8. I used my elk handloads with 180 grain Hornady Interloc.

Getting in shape---lots of stair climber in the gym. Backpacking sheep country 3 or 4 times to scout. Still lost 12 pounds on the sheep hunt & it was easy. Sheep season opens the day after Labor Day. I packed in on Saturday-----elk hunters down the canyon saw a band of 9 rams above where I was going to camp. I saw them from camp Saturday note, watched them all day Sunday & Monday. Tuesday hiked up & shot a 7/8 curl.

Goat hunt pretty much the same. I did the 2nd season in G13. Last 2 weeks in September----better hair & better chance of drawing. Saw the goats in the cliffs. Hiked up Saturday & Sunday but they gave me the slip. Went back the following weekend & shot a lone billy. Six year old. Broke his horns when he slid down an avalanche shoot.

Keep applying in all the western states. Someday your number will come up. CB