HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/342936-elk-hunting-expandable-broadhead.html)

Hunterbrum 04-03-2011 06:36 AM

Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead?

I put this in the bowhunting section as well.

I'm going on my first elk hunt in the fall. The only broadheads I have used are expandables. Mostly NAP Spitfires. I've had great success using this heads on deer. What are your thoughts on using this head on an elk.

Thanks

Champlain Islander 04-03-2011 01:47 PM

Elk are big boned and have thick hides and thick mid sections. I am not sure I would want to chance it with a mechanical broadhead but that is just my 2 cents worth.

salukipv1 04-03-2011 02:12 PM

rage 2 blade, only expandable I'll use, devastating on elk.

skiking 04-03-2011 04:45 PM

I wouldn't use an expandable on elk. Stick to fixed blade heads.

South33 04-03-2011 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by salukipv1 (Post 3794551)
rage 2 blade, only expandable I'll use, devastating on elk.

Agreed 100%

Rage 2-blade is all I have ever used on elk & never have had one reason to complain. They shoot great, penetrate good, & expand excellent... what more do you need?

Just like the commercial says, "its like throwing an axe through your game!":rock: haha

-South

Wheatley 04-04-2011 08:28 AM

I have seen fixed COC heads hit shoulder and not do any damage. I would stick to the fixed heads for a better chance. Like anything though you need to place the arrow in a good spot. If that is done the mechanical will work. My prefernce is the fixed head though.

Hurricanespg 04-04-2011 09:03 AM

I have killed quite a few elk with 1-3/8" cut Grim Reapers, unfortunately I do not know how well the Spitfires would work on elk.

Blackelk 04-05-2011 04:27 AM

If you use a high quality expandable I'd say sure. I recommend fixed blades for elk. Thunderheads or Muzzy's are hard to beat when it comes to durability. Same with fixed blades if you buy a cheap broad head you should expect poor performance on bone. If you want to test durability of a broad head. Set up a 1/2" piece of plywood, 1" of hard foam, and cover it with a tight woven rug. If it opens on the rug and still has it's blades attached while making a fully expanded cutting wound channel through the plywood then it will do it's job on elk. I've seen a lot of cheaper expandable's and fixed blade broad head's break on this test.

Agreed on the rage it's a nasty blood thirsty head. But I still like my fixed blades.

Greenbay 04-06-2011 05:50 AM

I was in your shoes about 2 years ago. I was going on my first archery elk hunt and was asking this same question here.
It was recommended to me that I use fixed blades by some I did the math on my kinetic energy. I have more than enough kinetic energy so I went with the expandable.
I did not get a crack at an elk on that hunt but my hunting buddy did. He had the same set up as I did and was using a 3 blade Stricknine expandable that has a 2" cut. He shot an elk quartering away and his arrow did make an exit hole. I also want to add that this was quite a long shot.....but when you shoot like he can you can stretch your distance.

Bottom line is do not be afraid of using your expandables.

Good Luck!!

justhuntitall 04-07-2011 03:25 PM

I have killed elk with both and and fix blades have always performed better.