Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead? >

Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

What expandable do you use huckleberry??

-South
Old 05-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me introduce everyone to my younger sister, Gina Nelson. She has bowhunted with me around the World-what a pleasure it's been. She, like me, shoots nothing but mechanicals from her compound bow (she has shot nothing but Hoyts in the past and is currently shooting a 52 pound Cybertec). She employees a 27 inch 2013 aluminum arrow tipped with a 75 grain Rocket Mini-blaster. She's killed 16 elk during her career (hasn't missed any she's shot at to date). Here's a few photos:

I'm not sure I'd like to be the person to tell her she shouldn't be using a mechanical broadhead to elk hunt. However, I would like to be there when that person does...I'll call 911 and help the paramedics remove the nads from his throat.

She's definitely found her vocation

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 05-11-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Hard to argue with results like that. lol

-South
Old 05-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

South,

My favorite is Carbon Express' Torrid SS. It's heck on turkeys, hogs, antelope, deer, elk, kudu...medium to large size game. Deadly out to 50-60 under calm conditions

I love the toughness of Wasp's Jak-Hammer. I've done the barrel test and cannot get them to fail. Their accuracy falls off around 40 yards though.

I've used Grimm Reapers on many African animals (lion was killed with a single arrow from 28 yards. It passed thru and skipped down range another 50 yards). I love them, but they break the bank in a hurry.

I've use several Rocket broadheads- Mini-blasters, Sidewinders (PSE had Rocket mades heads but put them under PSE's label), HammerHeads, and SteelHeads(killed the argentine buff with this head).

These are the heads I like...

Please everyone, find the head that works best for you! Use the head you don't pay for first though!

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 05-11-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTEIt's tough for me to comment on fix blade performance-I've never killed an animal using one. ][/QUOTE]
My musk oxen was killed from 30 yards with a second arrow delivered from my Super Short. The first came from a traditional 58 pound takedown longbow-using a 525 grain arrow tipped with a 150 grain Snuffer.
Last I checked, the Snuffer was not a mechanical. Just bustin' your chops a little. I can't out do ya with on anything else, so I gotta take a shot when I get the chance.

BUT, it's obvious that you and your ssiter have had great success using mechanical broadheads. I've had one mechanical failure with a spitfire and I guess after once, I just can't put my trust in any of them for big game, although like I already stated, I do use mechanicals on smaller framed critters.

Good luck this coming season. I've said my piece here and movin' on.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got me Howler, I should have mentioned compound somewhere in that sentence. I've killed a few deer with my traditional gear. With that equipment I've never used a mechanical. The musk oxen was barely scratched by the Snuffer (I figured the 3 to 1 ratio would be better suited for the bag target the musk oxen wear-I was wrong). I pulled the Super Short out from behind my back, unslung it, hiked/ran another mile down a creek bed, and then killed the oxen with a well placed Torrid.

Anyway, I wish you the very best with your hunting endeavors! If you're ever in the Erie area, drop a dime. I'll buy the first round. I would love to hear about your hunts (saw the moose and antelope threads-Congratulations!)

Well wishes,

Will
Old 06-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Spike

Last year I used the Rage broadhead on my elk hunt. It went completely through the bull and he died after going 50 yards. That is my only experience with an expandable and it worked great.