Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead? >

Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead?

Old 05-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, depending on how your survey's questions read, I suppose it's easy to believe that 63% use mechanicals. I "use" mechs. as well. For critters such as antelope, coyote, and turkey, but when it's comes to BIG game such as elk, I want penetration so I choose to use Snuffer SS from Magnus.
If every shot was a 20 yard broadside shot, I'd probably even use mech. for elk hunting, but not all shots are short and there's a possibility that the arrow might run into some heavy bone.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

If every shot was a 20 yard broadside shot, I'd probably even use mech. for elk hunting
Why isn't it? Skill is part of the confidence equation, so is patiences and discipline...just saying.

I'll stick with my "mechs" thank you.

I do appreciate the fact that you've pointed out a multitude of variables-many beyond our control. If people would recognize these variables, and acknowledge their existence, we would all be better off. Statements like, "have you tried this, or that" would provide a far better service to those on a path than "don't do this, or that". I'm sure more elk will die as a result. Isn't that what we all want?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Spike

i know of several instances where people have had an o ring failure or a single blade pop out and had a weird, screwball arrow flight and a miss. i didnt and i'm not going to. any body been around much knows of non-opening blades. take a wide two blade expandable and hit heavy bone with one blade and you think you won't get abnormal broadhead progress. most the guys on tv push what makes the most money and use all the newest rat-race stuff. i have a .270 and i dont need a 7x57. some people have to have the latest stuff but i pay like 26 bucks for 6 muzzies and can shoot jacks and sand to 80 yards all day long.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Spike

that's jackrabbits and sanhills. 90 grain 4-blade muzzies blow through bucks and bulls. pay you 30plus for three-all those tv guys need bigger houses and ranches. i'm a dr and can afford them, but no sense in it.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

All personal opinion...

-South
Old 05-11-2011, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why isn't it? Skill is part of the confidence equation, so is patiences and discipline...just saying.
For the simple fact that I won't limit myself to 20 yards. I've got plenty of skill, patience and confidence, and my success shows that. Limiting ones self to 20 yards is a personnal choice, but with much practice at longer range, one gives himself a much better chance of being successful in the field.
Maybe you limit yourself to 20 yards, great on you, BUT if closer is better, why not wait for the 10 yard shot. After all, patience and discipline, right??
Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

BUT if closer is better, why not wait for the 10 yard shot. After all, patience and discipline, right??
Ok, I accept your challenge, but I'm, not sure what point it proves.

Again, we can banter this topic until we're all dead. The fact remains...there are TOO many variables influencing results-many beyond our control. To say, "one size fits all" is ridiculous! The advocates of such are plain and simply not using their heads. Should we all wear boots while elk hunting, or will tennis shoes suffice? Should they all be a size 10? Should we all use a Gerber knife? The point, what works well for you may not work well for others. As disciplined, skilled, and patient bowhunters, we have a duty to encourage those willing to join our ranks to find what works best for them. Have I encountered heavy bone? Sure, go back and look at the photos-not sure how much heavier you can get than water buffalo, musk ox, eland, et al. Would I suggest one broadhead over another without knowing all the pertinent details? Not in a million years!

Howler, please take no offense. My goal is to make people make the right choices for themselves.

As far as hitting jacks at ninety yards all day long. Eyeball, I'll challenge your claim. I'll even buy you the best steak dinner money can afford if you prove it. I have reasonable doubt, and I honestly feeling you're exaggerating.

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 05-11-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Seriously, regardless if you favor fixed blade or mechanical; listen to iamyourhuckleberry! I couldn't have said it any better. Like I said before, it is all personal opinion.

-South
Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE][Howler, please take no offense. My goal is to make people make the right choices for themselves.

/QUOTE]None taken..just having "another" good "discussion" about fixed compared to mech. broadheads.
I am curious huck about your set-up. Can you tell us what bow you're shooting, arrow weight, and approx. arrow speed. To have used ONLY mech. broadheads and killed the largest of large without issue with mech. braodheads, you must be pushing some high KE energy set-up? Have you ever been even slightly dissapointed with the performance of your chosen mech. head? Have you ever been surprised by the amount of penetration you got, or surprised at the lack of penetration on any animals?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am curious huck about your set-up. Can you tell us what bow you're shooting, arrow weight, and approx. arrow speed. To have used ONLY mech. broadheads and killed the largest of large without issue with mech. braodheads, you must be pushing some high KE energy set-up? Have you ever been even slightly dissapointed with the performance of your chosen mech. head? Have you ever been surprised by the amount of penetration you got, or surprised at the lack of penetration on any animals?
Sure and gladly,

I shoot several different PSE rigs...an 84# X-Force, a X-Force Axe 7 set at 74 pounds, Two X-Force Super Shorts-one set at 58 pounds and the other set at 72 pounds, and finally a 78 pound Stringray which I consider to be my bread and butter bow. The Stingray is the bow you'll see me holding in most of the photos-it's a 2002 model. My arrows range in weight from 375 grains to 860 grains. Their speeds range from 265 to 350 ft/sec. I get 296 f/s from an arrow weighing 425 grains out of the Stingray.

Slightly dissapointed, no. If I were, then that tip wouldn't be my chosen broadhead. When I hunt, there's no room for doubt (I'd rather not hunt and practice/test more. I can always hunt another day). As far as penetration, how deep is deep enough? If I'm shooting a 29 inch shaft and sink 24 inches of that arrow into a body cavity-in the right spot-should I worry?

I shot the eland from 40 yards with a single arrow. He died less than 100 yards from the point of contact. No pass through.

I shot the water buffalo in Argentina from 34 yards with a single arrow. he died within 30 yards of contact.

I shot the water buffalo in Texas from 20 yards, and then again from 32 yards. I lost and refound him seven hours later with some serious constant searching. I used a borrowed muzzleloader and placed a 375 grain, 50 caliber ball into his chest. That ball was followed by two more over the course of three hours. I used my bow to deliver a final blow from 35 yards. Apparently, this animal, who had spent his entire life trying to survive, was unphased by five well placed holes into his vital region. It took a sixth to bring him down.

My musk oxen was killed from 30 yards with a second arrow delivered from my Super Short. The first came from a traditional 58 pound takedown longbow-using a 525 grain arrow tipped with a 150 grain Snuffer. That arrow prove ineffective against the oxen's shaggy guard hair (four inches of muscle penetration behind the beast's front shoulder). The second arrow, from the 72 pound bow, managed a whopping 13 inches of penetration but severed heart muscle.

I'll continue, if necessary. Just ask.

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 05-11-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.