Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead? >

Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead?

Old 04-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I just posted my opinion and you want to take it to the next level. (Go back and read the thread).

Bottom line is, if this is a true statement, you need to start hanging out with more bow hunters. I don't care what you shoot. I like fixed blade broadheads and will continue to shoot them. Muzzies were recommended to me years ago by a friend and they have never let me down.
These are the kind of asinine statements that become so tiresome on the internet.
I gave my opinion based on actually using a mechanical head (Grim Reapers), multiple times I might add. You gave your opinion based on hunters you have seen in camp (who knows what head), and based off of claims on the internet, while at the same time ignoring claims of fixed broadhead failure from the internet.
To top it all off you try to bring into question how many bow hunters I "hang out" with.
A very childish response at best.

Shoot whatever you want, but dont try to question those with the experience, and then try to back up claims with internet drivel. I'm done.

Last edited by Hurricanespg; 04-23-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

LMAO!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

how many elk have ya killed Hurricane? Also, at about what yardages, and what's your set-up, and about what KE is the set-up producing?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:08 AM
Typical Buck

Wonder if you can use anything but a Fix-blade in Africa on the Big five? I would Google it but internet lies. ( I know it was a cheap shot)

Well I have been reading forums on Bow hunting Africa forums and the majority of Archers use thunderheads a few mention Rage broad heads and its the same story good blood trails but they mention bad penetration on some of the bigger animals such as Zebra, Eland and angle shots not good. The majority would not hunt Buffs with anything but cut on impact heads seems like most of them like the Magnus brand and German Kinetics for the big animals .

IMOP
I think too many of us archers fall prey to the Ad Hype for new products and fall prey to extreme advertising .

Last edited by justhuntitall; 04-24-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

haha
Whats the deal with you guys!?
Every single broadhead out there is made to work & they do...
I shoot nothing but mechanical (Rage) & have killed everything (including a Yukon Moose) w/ these; & I feel they have proven themselves. For those of you who shoot fixed blade im sure they have proven themselves also...

so everybody just go bowhunting & enjoy being out there...

-South
Old 04-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

The DEAL is that not everyone that bow hunts shoots a set-up that produces enough KE to use mechanical broadheads, even an "axe" like RAGE. The fact is that there's not a mech. head made that will penetrate as well as any of the better COC broadheads, and when hunting elk, penetration is an issue. Everyone always says, I use XXX mechincal and kill everything I shoot, but they don't mention the fact of how much KE thier equipment is producing.
As far as we know South, you're pulling an 80# bow shooting 500 gr. arrows. Sure, that set-up works well, but what if someone is pulling a 50# bow and shooting 300 gr. arrows. Would you still recommend the "AXE" rage to everyone? After all, the commercial says "It's like throwing an AXE" and it "expands the kill zone" so it must work for everyone?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

The DEAL is that not everyone that bow hunts shoots a set-up that produces enough KE to use mechanical broadheads, even an "axe" like RAGE. The fact is that there's not a mech. head made that will penetrate as well as any of the better COC broadheads, and when hunting elk, penetration is an issue. Everyone always says, I use XXX mechincal and kill everything I shoot, but they don't mention the fact of how much KE thier equipment is producing.
As far as we know South, you're pulling an 80# bow shooting 500 gr. arrows. Sure, that set-up works well, but what if someone is pulling a 50# bow and shooting 300 gr. arrows. Would you still recommend the "AXE" rage to everyone? After all, the commercial says "It's like throwing an AXE" and it "expands the kill zone" so it must work for everyone?

Where as, on the other hand, a good COC broadhead WILL work for everyone, no matter the set-up.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

I understand 100% of what you are saying, but we can only hope people can figure these things out for themselves. For those who have a capable setup I think the 2-blade Rage is unbeatable; I have also shot the G5 Montec (COC) & it also preformed flawlessly every time. Like I said before it is all personal preference, & unfortunately trial & error is part of it. BTW... I shoot 70lbs. 28" draw, 320 fps, 400 grain arrows, Rage 2-blade, & a whole trophy room of results...

-South
Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

To each their own, I guess (it a confidence thing). It's tough for me to comment on fix blade performance-I've never killed an animal using one. I've tried time in and time out to get them to fly with my desired percision (to my abilities) from my bows. They're hardly a comparision head to head with mechanicals. In terms of accuracy, a fix blade won't open either if you can hit em.

Here's my pudding...not a single animal taken with a fix blade.

http://www.gohuntingandfishing.com/u...eberry/gallery

I do agree with Howler though. Mechanicals are not for everyone, and then again, neither is bowhunting.

One last thing I want to toss into the mix. We all forget that animals spend their entire lives trying to survive. What makes people think they'll just stop once a hole has been placed thru em? Regardless of the broadhead, life's little battles aren't perfectly scripted. I double lunged a bull a few years ago. I used a second follow up arrow and hit the bull through the neck severing his jugular vein. I found him dead 3/4 of a mile away, according to my gps and as the crow flys. This was a testiment to this animal's strength and tenacity.

We can bicker all we want via the internet, but the bottom lines is, "do due diligence"! Research products, test them, and enter the woods with confidence in your gear. Enjoy the precious time God has given you. Connect the dots and make changes if necessary.

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 05-03-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Spike

a lot of times elk can be in meadows with high weeds or brush. if and expandable catches something on the way and does a nosedive you will cry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.