Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead? >

Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
The only place I have ever heard of or "experienced" any kind of a broadhead (mechanical or fixed) failure is on the internet. Needless to say I dont put too much stock in it. If I did I dont think there would be a broadhead out there that I would shoot.
We have all read thread after thread on mechanical broadhead failures. I have never read one on fixed blade failures. There has to be some truth to the matter. That's why I will stick to Muzzies. Not one thread on Muzzy failures. But to each his own.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing is for sure, if a hunter shoots an animal with a good COC broadhead and doesn't recover the animal for one reason or another, he's not left wondering if the broadhead failed in some way. The same can't be said about any of the mechinical broadheads.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
We have all read thread after thread on mechanical broadhead failures. I have never read one on fixed blade failures. There has to be some truth to the matter. That's why I will stick to Muzzies. Not one thread on Muzzy failures. But to each his own.
These were just quoted off of a quick search on Muzzy failures....I suppose since I read them on the internet they must be just as true as the mechanical threads failures.

I do like the Muzzy but I will not use them again. I spine shot a doe and the trheaded part of the farrei broke and the entie head fell apart.
my vote for worst is muzzy's I have seen blades fall out poor penentration. and blown up ferrules.
Another vote for Muzzys, always breaking the ferrule.........they are just plain bad.
[quote]Satellites and Muzzys always breaking[/quote]

I have only soht muzzy (100gr. 3 blade). I do have one complaint -
I shot a cow elk last year and recovered the front half of the arrow. The muzzy had one blade that was bent about 45 degrees, but I still got a pass through. Arrow weight was 450 gr. out of a 70# bow
.......on second thought....nope still dont put too much stock in it.

Last edited by Hurricanespg; 04-20-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I dont know whats going on with this site, but for some reason its not working quite right on the quotes. I even tried editing it and it went right back to whatever it wanted to do.

Ehh whatever.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hurricane, you just believe and shoot whatever you want.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 04-20-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

So since you found some Muzzy failures, are you telling us that you beleive that a mech., the one of your choice, would've blown through the animal and stuck in the ground 10" with the shortest tracking job ever, if used in the same instances?

A bent or broken COC broadhead means direct hit on bone. NO? Are you telling us that mechanicals would've been the better choice?

If you want to play the " I found broadhead failure discussions on the net", then by all means, let's play. I'll bet I can find more mech. failure storys then you can find COC failure storys.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

My point has been....if you had bothered to read it.....either way it will continue to be... that you can read about a broadhead failure of pretty much any brand on the internet.

Dont believe everything you read on the internet.

I will reiterate the only place I have ever heard of or "experienced" any kind of a broadhead (mechanical or fixed) failure is on the internet.

colorado; thank you for your permission. I dont think I could have gotten by without it.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont believe everything you read on the internet.

colorado; thank you for your permission. I dont think I could have gotten by without it.
There is a lot of good information on the internet. Some folks are smart enough to read it and learn from it, some are not.

Your welcome.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
There is a lot of good information on the internet. Some folks are smart enough to read it and learn from it, some are not.

Your welcome.
Conversely there is a lot of bad information on the internet. Some folks are smart enough to not pay attention to it.

This is getting tiresome. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will reiterate the only place I have ever heard of or "experienced" any kind of a broadhead (mechanical or fixed) failure is on the internet.
I just posted my opinion and you want to take it to the next level. (Go back and read the thread).

Bottom line is, if this is a true statement, you need to start hanging out with more bow hunters. I don't care what you shoot. I like fixed blade broadheads and will continue to shoot them. Muzzies were recommended to me years ago by a friend and they have never let me down.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 04-22-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.