Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead? >

Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead?

Old 04-03-2011, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default Elk hunting with an expandable broadhead?

I put this in the bowhunting section as well.

I'm going on my first elk hunt in the fall. The only broadheads I have used are expandables. Mostly NAP Spitfires. I've had great success using this heads on deer. What are your thoughts on using this head on an elk.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Elk are big boned and have thick hides and thick mid sections. I am not sure I would want to chance it with a mechanical broadhead but that is just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

rage 2 blade, only expandable I'll use, devastating on elk.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't use an expandable on elk. Stick to fixed blade heads.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
rage 2 blade, only expandable I'll use, devastating on elk.
Agreed 100%

Rage 2-blade is all I have ever used on elk & never have had one reason to complain. They shoot great, penetrate good, & expand excellent... what more do you need?

Just like the commercial says, "its like throwing an axe through your game!" haha

-South
Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen fixed COC heads hit shoulder and not do any damage. I would stick to the fixed heads for a better chance. Like anything though you need to place the arrow in a good spot. If that is done the mechanical will work. My prefernce is the fixed head though.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed quite a few elk with 1-3/8" cut Grim Reapers, unfortunately I do not know how well the Spitfires would work on elk.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

If you use a high quality expandable I'd say sure. I recommend fixed blades for elk. Thunderheads or Muzzy's are hard to beat when it comes to durability. Same with fixed blades if you buy a cheap broad head you should expect poor performance on bone. If you want to test durability of a broad head. Set up a 1/2" piece of plywood, 1" of hard foam, and cover it with a tight woven rug. If it opens on the rug and still has it's blades attached while making a fully expanded cutting wound channel through the plywood then it will do it's job on elk. I've seen a lot of cheaper expandable's and fixed blade broad head's break on this test.

Agreed on the rage it's a nasty blood thirsty head. But I still like my fixed blades.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Spike

I was in your shoes about 2 years ago. I was going on my first archery elk hunt and was asking this same question here.
It was recommended to me that I use fixed blades by some I did the math on my kinetic energy. I have more than enough kinetic energy so I went with the expandable.
I did not get a crack at an elk on that hunt but my hunting buddy did. He had the same set up as I did and was using a 3 blade Stricknine expandable that has a 2" cut. He shot an elk quartering away and his arrow did make an exit hole. I also want to add that this was quite a long shot.....but when you shoot like he can you can stretch your distance.

Bottom line is do not be afraid of using your expandables.

Good Luck!!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

I have killed elk with both and and fix blades have always performed better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.