HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Antelope hunting in Wyoming (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/341638-antelope-hunting-wyoming.html)

jlaper3 03-09-2011 03:08 PM

Antelope hunting in Wyoming

Hi me and a friend applied for antelope tags in wyoming in zones 7,27and 8. We have never been there before thought it sounded like fun. But really have no idea what we are doing. Assuming we draw a tag, we are looking for any help we can get. Thanks in advance

Wingbone 03-09-2011 03:43 PM

I went out to South Dakota with a buddy a few years ago. We hunted a private sheep ranch near the Wyoming border. Same thing. We didn't know anything about antelope hunting. We had a blast. We filled 4 tags in 2 days. Look for water. Wherever we found water, we found antelope. No water, no antelope. Bring knee pads and leather gloves for crawling through the cactus.

jlaper3 03-09-2011 03:58 PM

Thanks a lot did you go with rifle or bow, we just wanna have fun thats what its all about. Did you pay to hunt that ranch or did you just ask permission? The areas we applied for are pretty close to where you were i believe sounds like there is a lot of public land in wyoming, or u think were better off trying to gain access to private land.

Wingbone 03-10-2011 03:33 AM

We were hunting with rifles. If I were bowhunting, I'd put a ground blind near a waterhole and park on it. We paid the rancher to hunt and camp on his land. We camped in a prairie dog town. He told us to go ahead and shoot all the prairie dogs we wanted too, but we didn't want to spook the antelope. He even showed us where the antelope were ahead of time. There was public land nearby with just as many goats on it as the ranch. If you are willing to do some walking to get away from the roads, I think the hunting would be good there too. The advantage of private land was we could drive anywhere we wanted too, which reduced the work getting the antelope out.
Bring big coolers and lots of ice. It was about 85 deg. while we were hunting. Getting them cut up and cool quickly is the secret to getting good tasting meat.
One other thing, antelope have distinctive odor when you first get near them. To me they smell like popcorn, swear to God!

Wheatley 03-10-2011 06:44 AM

Area 27 will be hard to draw but it is one of the better units. 7 is still pretty good just a little less public land. If you do draw let me know. I live pretty close to those areas and I can probably help you out. I usually don't hunt antelope but my friends are always out there in 27 hunting them. There are a ton of antelope out here so you will not have any problems finding them. Never hunted 8 but I have been on the border of it and it is a pretty good area as well.

Wheatley 03-10-2011 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Wingbone (Post 3784595)
To me they smell like popcorn, swear to God!

Ha ha, thats funny, I would call it something a little more nasty smelling than popcorn!

jlaper3 03-10-2011 07:15 PM

Thanks guys much appreciated, keep the info coming!!!!!

msmith1956 03-13-2011 01:53 PM

Area 7 is a pretty easy draw and has a good portion of the Thunder Basin National Grasslands in it. Don't know what the quota is going to be like yet this year as Wyoming has had some winter kill due to the deep snows in alot of areas.
Check out our web site at empireguesthouse.com to find more info. and lodging options if needed.

jlaper3 03-13-2011 03:55 PM

Ill check it out thanks a lot!!!!!

StabyhounDogs 03-25-2011 05:40 PM

After the first day you won't see very many from the truck. They hear a truck coming and drop down in the low spots, so you will need to get out and walk the areas or sit by ponds and they seem to come out in the open when they feel safe. Most of the guys driving around thought all the antelopes moved to private ground,they we way off base, they never went very far at all.
This website will help:http://sunlight.wygisc.uwyo.edu/hunt...electedIndex=1