HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Who is going elk hunting this year? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/341304-who-going-elk-hunting-year.html)

Alsatian 03-03-2011 06:42 AM

Who is going elk hunting this year?

Who is going elk hunting this year? Who is going early when the elk are up in the high mountains? Are you cutting pounds and beginning to exercise to get in shape? I'm going first rifle season in Colorado: October 15-19. I'm in my mid-fifties and have put some weight on over the winter. I plan to lose about 20 more LBS, hopefully by June 1. Meanwhile, I'm easing into the exercise program. Again, hopefully by June 1 I'll be moderately well tuned up and can dial up the intensity level. My daughter the other day told me about a "steep hill" behind her grade school that I'll want to check out. Here in North Central Texas there aren't a lot of real hills so you take what you can get.

This is my third elk hunt. My second hunt was successful, thanks largely to a good friend who provided help getting me in position to find some elk. My goals this season are modest -- take any elk, preferrably a cow. I'm in it for the fun and the experience of hunting first season near tree line and for the excellent, outstanding elk meat. I don't have the heads mounted, so I don't really have any reason to take a bull. Now, if a bull is presented and no cow is in sight, I'll take the bull. Another goal is to try to learn more about elk hunting and maybe scout out some new locations that elk frequent near my camp.

I think I can honestly say I can't think of anything better than being in a canvas wall tent at 11000' with a nice warm wood stove in the corner, eating some food, and remembering the hunt activities of the day and maybe sharing hunting tales with my hunting partners.

jerry d 03-03-2011 06:56 AM

Are you going guided or DIY ?

Muley Hunter 03-03-2011 07:03 AM

Basically, I hunt for elk every day to stay in shape. I have a small game licence, and claim to a warden that i'm hunting coyote which I can hunt year around. What i'm really doing is just scouting and going for a long hike with my dog to stay in shape.

I live at 8500 ft in Colorado, and i'm not far from where I hunt. I'll go up to maybe 10,000 ft. I don't hunt the early season. Too many out of state hunters looking for trophy's who have a hard time telling me from an elk.

I hunt later in the season when the elk are moving to lower altitudes. I know how they get there, and hunt them in those areas. I have no interest in a trophy, so I only hunt cows. They taste better to me, and are much easier for me to handle, because I hunt alone. I'm old.

I use nothing but muzzleloaders, and like the challenge of getting closer. Easier at lower altitudes away from the open areas.

So, to answer your question. Yes, i'll be hunting elk every year. I find the best way to stay in shape is to do what i'm trying to get in shape for. Which would be hiking at high altitude carrying my gun and other gear. I find it much easier to stay in shape all year, then get out of shape, and then try to get it back.

finnbear 03-03-2011 07:47 AM

Yes I will be hunting elk again this year as in all the past years except for the time I was in the military and away from home.... I live at about 2000ft, and will be settin up camp at about the 3500ft level out in the sagebrush, maybe hunt up to the 5000ft level........... My daughter whats to put in for a big bull tag this year so we will most likely be hunting the flats out in front of camp this year

crazy_canadian 03-03-2011 08:11 AM

elk

Didn't realize how lucky a guy is to be like maybe I'll go elk hunting this weekend. All my hunts are diy and couldn't imagine having to have to book a hunt to get a chance to elk,mule deer,sheep,whitetail,moose,and bear hunt. I didn't realize what I take for granted. But yes I am planning on elk when I'm not chasing rams.

Colorado Luckydog 03-03-2011 08:45 AM

I plan on going up in September for a week of bowhunting. If I don't fill my tag I will hunt a couple of days a week until the season is over. I have several places I can hunt that is within an hours drive.

I will also be going first rifle season. That's always the best week of the year for me. Hanging out with my buddies, eating good food, drinking a ton of beer and hunting the great Wapiti.

Elk hunting is something I have yet to take for granted. I wasn't always lucky enough to live in Colorado.

npaden 03-03-2011 08:46 AM

I've got a Wyoming nonresident general tag in my pocket and I'll be applying in New Mexico again this year as well. Last year with much hope of drawing in New Mexico with the new 6% quota for DIY nonresidents in 2012.

Since I ended up with 2 elk on the ground last year, I'm probably due for nothing this year except a good time in the mountains.

Wheatley 03-03-2011 08:57 AM

I will be out there in September for a week archery hunting. If I am not successful I will be out there in October during the rifle season as well. I love hunting elk, it is my favorite hunt to be on. I wouldn't miss it.

Alsatian 03-03-2011 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by jerry d (Post 3781297)
Are you going guided or DIY ?

DIY. I'm very familiar with the mountains. Have hunted in my hunting spot twice now. Have additionally taken weeklong backpacking trips in the same general area, though spending a fair amount of time above tree line on the backpacking trip, while I was just about 500 foot below treeline on the elk hunts. I'm familiar with all the elements of elk hunting, because of backpacking and other big game hunting, but being new to elk hunting I'm wanting to learn more about the special skills needed in elk hunting. I share a camp with another guy who has been hunting elk probably for 20 years. Also, as I probably mentioned, I'm not into trophy hunting. I got a young bull on my last hunt in 2009, but I will be happy with a cow. I do all my meat care myself -- field dressing, skinning, cutting into manageable pieces -- quarters except I disconnect the shoulders, legs, backstrap, tenderloins, neck meat, rib meat and leave the rib cage bones and back bone. Further, I butcher and package my elk into meal sized packages and then cook it myself.

salukipv1 03-03-2011 09:53 AM

probably not unless I draw some awesome tag...