Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Best muzzle-loader bullet for colorado elk? >

Best muzzle-loader bullet for colorado elk?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Best muzzle-loader bullet for colorado elk?

Old 02-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Spike

Question Best muzzle-loader bullet for colorado elk?

Im planing on hunting in the colorado muzzle loader season this, and I am looking into what bullet to use and how much powder. I have read the colorado rules on sabots and powder pelets, and they are not legal in colorado. I have a .54 calibar muzzle loader. Ive been looking at powerbelts? Any thought or advice would be great.

Thanks Adam Wipperfurth
Old 02-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.bpishopping.com/skin/fron...oads_Guide.pdf
Old 02-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Several to choose from that I consider superior to powerbelts:

Bullshops are great bullets but have to be ordered from Alaska and can't be in a hurry to get them: http://bullshop.gunloads.com/tbs_products.htm

No excuses makes really good bullets, but you only have one choice in 54 and it is big! http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com...es/Page319.htm

430 gr Maxi-balls are good elk medicine too: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104547780

425 gr Great plains bullets are good as well: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104547780

I have switched to 50 cal because bullet selection is wider (such as Thor barnes bullets and Hornady FPB bullets) Both great elk bullets, but they are not available in 54 cal.

Bullshop and No excuses are both great elk medicine, but Maxi-balls and Great plains are probably easier to get. I would not hesitate to use any of them on elk.

That said, if I were forced to use powerbelts, I would use the 405 copper aerotip. Powerbelts have a name for coming apart on game ,but usually that is from people pushing them too hard. Stay at 100 gr or less on powder and you should be fine. 100 GR OF POWDER IS PLENTY TO KILL ANY ELK WALKING.

My two best elk loads are 90 gr of BH 209 and a 350 gr hornady FPB (50 cal) and 95 gr of BH 209 and a 300 gr Thor (50 cal)

What gun will you be using? I suspect a sidelock? That means you will be restricted to pyrodex or 777 if you don't use real black powder. Anything in 90-110 gr range should work for you, just have to work up your most accurate load.

Last edited by txhunter58; 02-19-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not big on power belts. I've tried them and never could get acceptable accuracy with them.

I would look at Hornady Great plains, TC maxi ball or maxi hunter, PR bullets Keith bullet.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

killed several bulls with 430 maxi ball, none went more than 30 yards after hit, hunting partner uses 425 great plains bullet. both work good just see which one your gun likes. No need to use more than 100 grains of powder.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by adamwipp07
Im planing on hunting in the colorado muzzle loader season this, and I am looking into what bullet to use and how much powder. I have read the colorado rules on sabots and powder pelets, and they are not legal in colorado. I have a .54 calibar muzzle loader. Ive been looking at powerbelts? Any thought or advice would be great.

Thanks Adam Wipperfurth

+1 for the Thompson Maxi Ball if they group well outta your gun. Powerbelts I never really got to shoot well outta one gun. But they shot well outta my wife's Knight.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

My rifle is a .50 TC Hawken...I used the Noexcuses 460 grain on my one and only CO elk... It shoots so well that I have have continued to use it here in NY as a deer bullet..

I cannot speak for the .54 cal., but the .50 cal load easy and are real accurate. The bullet I retrieved from my 6x6 bull was a perfect mushroom.. I would recommend that you get a box in .54 and give then a try.. Good luck..
Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

I make my own TC maxi balls and they are a little harder and preform a lot better. Something to look into.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of good opinions here. Another option is pr bullets - www.prbullet.com
They make some conicals that would work, only downside is that they are pretty expensive....
Old 02-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Spike

I have a .54 hawkin also and I use an ol 530 grain round ball with 100 grains of black powder. Shots in the timber will be 100 yards or less so it works for me and the round ball expands out quick but a better option is a maxi ball.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.