HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Am i nuts to feel like this? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/340158-am-i-nuts-feel-like.html)

ranger400ex1994 02-14-2011 10:26 AM

Am i nuts to feel like this?

My dad and I and a few other guys are planning a elk hunt sometime in the near future here I dont have much info on it yet. But im feeling like i have a unworthy gun to hunt out west with. Most of the guys id be going with have tika's or browning's or remingtons. The only rifle i own is a Marlin XL7 in a 30-06 with a nikon pro staff scope 3X9. Its pretty accurate ive shot it out to 300yars a few times but mostly kept my shots to a max 250yards for deer. I have alot of confidencents in this rifle. I just feel like im hunting with a toy compared to the other guys high end rifles id be hunting with. Am i nuts to feel like this?

Jorgy 02-14-2011 10:38 AM

I don't know about nuts, but your gun is just fine for hunting elk. I would worry more about getting in shape than the cost of your rifle.

My youngest son took his first deer and elk this year with a Marlin Xl7 (youth model) in 7mm-08 with a nikon prostaff 3x9. When I took both of my boys late season elk hunting I didn't even bring my elk gun a browning stainless stalker in 300 win mag. I used my boys (not that I needed one)

finnbear 02-14-2011 11:28 AM

YES........what a rifle costs has nothing to do with it's value!!!!!!!

salukipv1 02-14-2011 11:33 AM

I wish the nicer your gear was the bigger the elk you shot, but that's not how it works...

If you have the money laying around and want a new rifle, get one, but your setup is just fine. It won't however make a monster elk walk out in front of you on your hunt in any way shape or form.

deadelk246x 02-14-2011 11:35 AM

Don't think about it!

If you are hitting paper and your rifle is reliable, then don't worry about the label on your rifle. Of course it is nice to dream about beautiful firearms, but if you can nail an elk with 180 grains in the vitals who gives a crap about the brand of rifle.
The brand of rifle never helps you locate the critter, the most important things are conditioning and boots because those things translate to longer time in the woods. Oh yeah, one other thing elk can't read, they don't care if you have a Marlin or a Browning.

Sheridan 02-14-2011 11:50 AM

+1 LOL

"I wish the nicer your gear was the bigger the elk you shot, but that's not how it works..." Salukipv1

Elk never know how much a rifle might have cost you !

BTW - I like those new Marlins.

TwoBear 02-14-2011 11:51 AM

You don't need expensive equipment to have fun hunting elk. If you practice with your rifle, study and prepare for your hunt, work hard and keep a positive attitude while your there, you and your rifle are going to be putting an elk on the ground just a fast or faster then anybody else. Just enjoy your time in the beautiful western landscapes and have fun!!

Bocajnala 02-14-2011 11:52 AM

YOu may be crazy, but your rifle will do just fine. Practice a lot, and get in good shape. Being able to cover ground and hit what you aim at will benefit you much more than any rifle you can buy. Good luck!
-Jake

Valentine 02-14-2011 12:03 PM

Unfortunately, a lot of Americans

will retire, long before the rifles, because they are over weight and out of shape.

Jim Williams 02-14-2011 01:25 PM

Don't try to keep with the Jones. I would not buy new rifle to hunt with Jerry Jones [Dallas cowboys owner]. If you are confident and comfortable with your 30/06 a new one is not the answer. Be yourself. Jim