Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Am i nuts to feel like this? >

Am i nuts to feel like this?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Am i nuts to feel like this?

Old 02-18-2011, 06:02 AM
Spike

As a lot of those have said an '06 is plenty of rifle. I killed my first elk with a .243. I have a stash of fine rifles in my safe but tend to go with old reliable. Winchester true Pre 64 30.06. I've killed about all a guy can kill with that thing. Also as stated, practice. Try a lot of different positions. Most anyone can sit at a bench or lay down and poke nice groups. I tend to practice kneeling, with sticks, lying on my side, standing, with a tree as a rest, and shooting up hill and down hill at extreme angles.

Good luck and most of all enjoy it.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Spike

Ya im going to start buying some premium 165's and some 180gr loads and see which loads my rifle likes. Right now i just shoot remington 150gr core loks for deer. I dont reload so ill have to buy a few different brands and give them a try. I just bought a nikon prostaff 550 laser ranger finder it says it reads from 5-500 yards. And for Binoculars i have a set of nikon trailblazers thats 10X42. Im Pretty brand loyal in optics to nikon. Thats what i have on my 3 different slug gun and they have held up to the kick of a slug gun so thats what i put on the 06.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Spike

First of all an 06 is perfect use a 180 grain remington core loct. This round is cheap and my browning a-bolt groups 2" at 100 yards. It is effective and plenty of knock down power. If you are planing an elk hunt I suggest going to my informational website. www.publiclandforthepoorman.com and you will find alot of the answers you seek there including pictures of 2 elk taken with 06. Also 300 yards is plenty of distance. Both of the elk taken with the rifels where within 80 yards and one was 30. The rest where taken with the bow and arrow, my preferd weapon.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Spike

Important to use a round that holds its shape and retains weight. I would not use a 165 grain bullet for elk. These animals are dence and thick skinned, the bigger the bullet the better. Chances are it will be 100 yards or less.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by salukipv1
I wish the nicer your gear was the bigger the elk you shot, but that's not how it works...

If you have the money laying around and want a new rifle, get one, but your setup is just fine. It won't however make a monster elk walk out in front of you on your hunt in any way shape or form.

i have had to re-learn this time and time again. i always wished i would have worried less about what gear i had when i was younger, and learned and practiced harder.

if you start practicing now, and training, chances are you'll be tagged out before they will.

nothing beats confidence in your equipment, but you get that from practice, not price tag!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Spike

I'd worry more about getting a shot at an elk than what gun is making the shot. You said you have confidence and that's all that matters. If you can shoot good at 300 yds like you said you're gonna be just fine. I tell you what I've learned. A rifle, no matter how cheap or expensive is only as good as the guy shooting it. Quit worrying and go have fun! Good luck!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as you're confident, have practiced out to 300 yds and it's accurate, who cares what someone else "thinks of it". 90% of the success in the hunt is how the hunter prepares for and work put into the hunt to find and get into range you know you can make the shot. The shot has to be placed to make it a quick as possible kill (e.g. double lung broadside, heart). I don't care how expensive a rifle and scope you have, as long as you can prepare and make the right shot.
If some day you can find and afford another rifle you really like and will serve you well, have at it. But done be ashamed of shooting an elk or other animal with you rifle, as long as you respect it by doing the preparation for the hunting a make an ethical shot. Good hunting!
(P.S. When you bless to shoot your elk, please let us know... post a picture, if you will.) :-)

Last edited by MinnFinn; 03-03-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt elk with a muzzleloader.

I consider a 30-06 as overkill.