Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Cat Problem! How to fix it? >

Cat Problem! How to fix it?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Cat Problem! How to fix it?

Old 02-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Spike

Default Cat Problem! How to fix it?

I know feral cats are not considered big game, but I figured more people in this board would know what I was talking about by the amount of time spent afield. We are faced with a HUGE feral cat problem. Feral and domestic cats, which are the same in my eyes, are largely decreasing bird populations all over the country. The best way to fix a problem is to get rid of the problem. Read my latest post on this topic in my outdoor blog, Eyes Wide Open, and give me some of your ideas and feedback on the topic.

www.naturalistmn.blogspot.com

Cat Problem! How to fix it?-feral-cats.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Cat Problem! How to fix it?-feral-cats-898x499.jpg  

Last edited by naturalistmn; 02-02-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:52 AM
Spike

Default I have found

Originally Posted by naturalistmn
I know feral cats are not considered big game, but I figured more people in this board would know what I was talking about by the amount of time spent afield. We are faced with a HUGE feral cat problem. Feral and domestic cats, which are the same in my eyes, are largely decreasing bird populations all over the country. The best way to fix a problem is to get rid of the problem. Read my latest post on this topic in my outdoor blog, Eyes Wide Open, and give me some of your ideas and feedback on the topic.

www.naturalistmn.blogspot.com

Attachment 15737
I have found over the years that a tiny piece of lead placed behind the ear will cure the problem.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

They are frequently dumped in the state land near my camp. They raise havoc on the rabbits and grouse. I wish they would be classified as vermon, which is what I treat them as. Like dogs, all should be licensed . I like cats, but if they are outside they are not pets. A caring owner wouldnt be exposing them to cars, coons, and all the other critters they tangle with.When we let ours run, theyre life spans was two or three years. Once grounded inside, we have had several live for up to 18 years.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

I shoot alot of stray cats. My cat is an "inside/outside" cat. She's eighteen this month. She walks on the piano keys when she wants out, and we let her back in whenever. In the winter she mostly stays inside and in the summer she mostly stays outside. Been a good cat. But for all the strays around, they get treated just like groundhogs.
-Jake
Old 02-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

In Wyoming they are classified as predators and can be trapped or killed year around without a license. I don't see too many around here. Foxes and coyotes keep them out of the forest/blm land, and cattle dogs keep them cleaned up around barn yards. We get the occasional one hanging around the place that causes problems. They are easy to trap and dispose of.