Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What are some good guns for hunting game? >

What are some good guns for hunting game?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What are some good guns for hunting game?

Old 02-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Spike

The Hunter's Safety Class is a great suggestion. I've been hunting for nearly 50 years and just recently took a Hunter's Safety Class which is required for an elk hunt in Colorado later this year. I learned a great deal in this class and would highly recommend it for anyone...new and old hunters alike. Also, think about joining a gun club. You can get some great information about the sport. Just today, I had an opportunity to try an incredible bull barrel Browning A-Bolt .308 target rifle that a fellow member brought to the range.

Learn as much as you can about all the calibers and find the ones that may work best for you. My favorites are 25-06 for deer on open range, 30-30 for brush and thicket and .300 win mag for elk and larger critters. That said, a .270 is hard to beat for an all-around caliber. You are going to have a great deal of fun in determining what may be the right gun for you. I know I did.