Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Easy/cheap homemade scent killer. >

Easy/cheap homemade scent killer.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Easy/cheap homemade scent killer.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Wink Easy/cheap homemade scent killer.

As a hunter I use a lot of scent elimination products, but hate to spend excess amounts for something I can produce myself quick and cheap.
Here's a recipe I've been using with great success the last couple of seasons
Mix baking soda and distilled water, shake until soda is dissolved.
regular tap water should work fine, I just prefer distilled to make sure there is no residual chlorine smell, and if you have hard water it may clog sprayer after a while.

Combine soda water mixture with hydrogen peroxide. A little foaming is to be expected so mix in a container large enough to allow for it.

pour into a clean plastic jug, avoid milk jugs or similar that will allow light exposure which will break down the peroxide. leave lid off of jug until reaction between soda and peroxide subsides and then seal tightly.

transfer into spray bottles as needed, ready to use in the field or around the house to eliminate pet odors as well. This is close to commercially made product. Baking soda will absorb odors, peroxide will kill odor causing bacteria.

Happy hunting,
Gen
Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

awesome man, thanks !
Old 01-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Spike

Great idea, makes sense. how much of each do you use to make the scent killer?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Spike

as a bowhunter, i've been using this for at least 15 years..mix ingredients in a bowl and let stand overnight. next day, pour into your sprayer or any dark conainer:

* 1 16 fl oz bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide.
* refill peroxide bottle with distilled water and pour into bowl.
* 1/4 cup baking soda
* 1 tablespoon of scent free liquid (like you wash your body w/before hunting)

stir all ingredients well and allow to sit for a few hours (i just mix it in the evening and bottle it up the next day).

this works to help eliminate your odor and also is great to spray on a dog that has been sprayed by a skunk. of course, after you spray your dog (never get it in the eyes) you should give it a bath to wash away the peroxide. good hunting.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:49 AM
Spike

Thumbs up Scent killer

Thanks a lot helmsman, appretiate it!