Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Knockdown Power

Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 AM

Default RE: Knockdown Power

Break bone with the first one. Thats been my theory, handed down from generations of hunters. Use enough gun and take out the front shoulder with the first shot the animal can't go far. I look for a quartering away shot so I can take out both lungs and the offside shoulder which inevitably equates to a short tracking job. The rest is theory, I'm dealing with years of experience.[8D]
Old 03-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

feddoc
why not its the weakest point thats the first thing doctors tell you with high blood pressure (STROKES)
Old 03-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Big Bold Bullet.......front shoulder. End of story.
Understand that I in no way want unnecessary suffering, but my one and only focus is breaking the animal down. Easier on everyone involved, most importantly those helping me get him out!!!

Now if we are Archery hunting.......different story with different results, but then different expectations as well!!
Old 03-12-2007, 01:24 PM

learn alot anyway . many thanks friends

[email protected]
Old 03-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Its called usinga big bullet, hitting the right spot and creating shock that runs through its body when the bullet impacts. Has nothing to do with the animals heart beat.
It has nothing to do with "using a big bullet" either. Otherwise I'd be tracking deer I've shot with my .243 a lot farther than deer I've shot with my .30-06, and that hasn't been the case.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

So arterial shock sounds good until I think about the deer and elk I've seen fall like they have been hit in the head with a hammer from an arrow. I was told that if you hit the connection of the arteries and top of the heart the instant pressure drop makes the animal collapses and in essences die instantly (since I don’t have a way to verify the heart beat at that time I say die).

Even excellent shot placement will provide many different results and I normally try for the heart/lung/liver shot to get maximum bleeding. Knockdown power comes in many forms and I for one am pleased when an animal falls in its tracks and equally pleased when I have made an excellent shot and have a short tracking job to do.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

BUT.....you are talking about deer AND you may be talking about deer hit in differing organs.
All other things being equal.......bigger, badder bullet equals quicker knockdown. Period. End of story!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:44 PM

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Its called usinga big bullet, hitting the right spot and creating shock that runs through its body when the bullet impacts. Has nothing to do with the animals heart beat.
It has nothing to do with "using a big bullet" either. Otherwise I'd be tracking deer I've shot with my .243 a lot farther than deer I've shot with my .30-06, and that hasn't been the case.

I know you are much more knowledgable than myelf, but I am not too sure on this. Logic would say a bigger bullet (.30 caliber) would be more effective. Perhaps you shoot your 243 more accurate and place it better with this rifle?
I am of the opinion that bigger is better, or they would have quit making the rifle at 243. I have heard from many people (internet and local) that someone they know uses a 243 and had a hell of a time tracking. However, you are probably one that can place your bullet anywhere you want it to go and lights out. Then there is Joe "site in" that hunts and gut shots with a 243.

Hence, the magic of the "bigger bullet", an off shot is still pretty good, and will more likely be lethal than that of the smaller 243. I've even read about many hunters using .338 and larger on whitetail!

I used to live in SC (South Cackalackie) and knew a guy that hunted with a 300 RUM. I never got interested in hunting there as the does I seen along the road were about the size of a large German Shepherd!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:48 PM

Still never seen one of those 90 lb does hit at 100 yards with a 150 gr. BT from a 300 RUM! Wish I had!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

hinkleid
what part sc?
300 win mag with 220gr round nose just kindablowsthemoverat 150 yards
(watched a freindwish i had video) LOL flipped it in air
SC and GA, Deer/hogsI use a .222 with 45gr sxbullet at 3300 fps or a.22-250
with 50 gr sx bullet at 4000 fps.In 12 years I have never haddeer or hog go more than
20 yards. (I only take head orheart shots mostly heart.)
GA. 5 deer limit whenI started now 8, SC.limit 5 about 150 deer in the last 12 years
I've got 2 bears380lb and 430lb 75 yards ground bilndwith.243 inOntarioboth
went less than25 yards.
.243/6mm is enough for all north american game with correct bullet, range and shot
placement.

Know your abilities before you pull the trigger!!!!

just my opinion THX

Quick Reply: Knockdown Power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.