Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 How Many Will Cancel Their Trips?? >

How Many Will Cancel Their Trips??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How Many Will Cancel Their Trips??

Old 07-23-2003, 02:26 PM

Default How Many Will Cancel Their Trips??

If the USDA doesn`t lift the ban on ruminents how many will cancel their caribou, deer or moose hunts to Canada? How many have made alternate arrangements for someone to store the meat and ship it after the ban is lifted?
Old 07-23-2003, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Many Will Cancel Their Trips??

i would say its a safe bet that many will cancel . its a shame that its come to this but what is the answer
Old 07-23-2003, 09:56 PM

I' m working with my outfitter to arrange some cold storage for at least a few months if the ban hasn' t cleared. Problem is now that the whole issue has taken on a political flavor with the Japanese refusing American beef if we accept Canadian Beef. I say tell the Japanese to get stuffed. I been to Japan and I didn' t see a whole lotta graze land for cattle!! They' ll get sick of Sushi right quick if we cut off the feed bag!!!!

Old 07-26-2003, 08:30 AM
nub

Check back with me in about 2 months. I have some ideas for a new book I' m about write. It will be called...HOW TO EAT A WHOLE MOOSE IN 2 DAYS! [][:-]
Old 07-26-2003, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Nub,

if you need a culinary assistant, let me know.

have pan, will travel

brad
Old 07-26-2003, 11:28 AM

You know Nub we could always have a moose on a spit bar-b-cue if you get one. Your not that far from us , I am willing to travel for a little moose tenderloin.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:57 AM
nub

The loins will be the first to go. Think I fed about 12 people with the last set a Q' d.[:-]

Turk: Got a # where I can get hold of ya? I' m serious, if the ban isn' t lifted, I' ll be a moose eating fool for the rest of my stay if I tag one early.

Brad: It would probably take you 2 good days of driving from Virginny. []

Old 07-28-2003, 02:25 AM
jjt

what do you suppose the fine is for smuggling your meat back across the border??
Old 07-28-2003, 07:08 AM
nub

4 or 500 lbs of meat is kind of hard to hide. I' d have to venture a guess and say, if you' ve been hunting, and tell them theres nothing in those 6 extra coolers[] They' ll read ya like a book. Eh?
Old 08-15-2003, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here' s the latest I heard through NAHC:

Ann M. Veneman, secretary of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), announced late last week the USDA will no longer prohibit the importation of hunter-killed wild ruminant products intended for personal use and will begin accepting applications for import permits for certain products from Canada.

The USDA says hunters will need a " Veterinary Services Special Permit for the Importation of Hunter-Harvested Wild Ruminant Meat," along with a valid Canadian export certificate for game meat, or a copy of a valid hunting license or valid hunting tag. The permit can be downloaded from www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/issues/bse/bse.html or obtained by calling the USDA' s National Import and Export Center at (301) 734-3277.

Watch for more on this story in the October 2003, issue of North American Hunter.