Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Elk hunting

Old 01-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Spike

Default Elk hunting

Hi,
I was wandering what the first week of archeryis like for elk. Do they talk much?I've been there 2nd and 4th week in colo.
Thanks Bill
Old 01-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

It really can vary from year to year and location to location. I've seen them talking in one drainage and completely silent in the next.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by elkkrazy
Hi,
I was wandering what the first week of archeryis like for elk. Do they talk much?I've been there 2nd and 4th week in colo.
Thanks Bill
In the early season you will find not as much vocalization, however, bulls are very curious and receiptive to calling. Bull sounds will be your best bet as the socialization is still very high among bulls this time of year. Bulls want to see who is out there and where they fit in the hierarchy of the local herds. It can be a very fun time to be in the woods. In general they are harder to find, but easier to call when you do.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Spike

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited by jacob321; 01-27-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the past several years in the area that we hunt every year, the first week has been very warm and the action very cold. The last two weeks of season have been the best for the last several years for us.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Spike

thanks guys
Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 AM
skyler frankfurt

try to call the hole first day and then they start to come in.then the second day try to call and shoot. and maybe set a blind up.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

In our area the first two weeks are hit so hard it's almost insanity and all those bulls talkin aren't elk and the elk know that. They don't even respond to cow calling so well anymore without being in the rut.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Spike

It can be different every year. In New Mexico when the spring and summer are very dry they don't bugle much during the first part of september. If we get lots of rain, the first week can be almost as good as the last...
Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love hunting elk for the first weekend of Colorado's archery season. The elk are less suspecting after nine months of minimum human interaction. However, they are extremely quiet during this period, and the bulls are still bunched up. Find one and chances are there will be more present (keep that in mind. You may think one set of eyes when there are actually many. I cannot tell you how many stalks I've blown by failing to remember this tip). As the week progresses, the bulls may or may not begin to seperate from each other-it's different by location. You may find a bull raking and rubbing trees. It's an awesome experience to witness! The grunts, squeals, and groans are truly amazing...listen for them. Stay close to cooler regions. Carry a small thermometer and pay attention to temps. Elk will find that region on the mountain which is the coolest. They hate being hot! Look for places where natural evaporative cooling is taking place. Remember the temperatures drop six degrees for every 1000 feet you climb. During this week, it's not unusual to find elk slightly below timberline.

Hope that helps...good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.