Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What's the best big game hunting broadhead? >

What's the best big game hunting broadhead?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

What's the best big game hunting broadhead?

Old 02-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onebigelk
.. Thunderhead or muzzy would be good to start out with. I think they may be a little more forgiving. ...
Did you have better accuracy and results taking a deer down with 3 or 4 blade fixed broadhead (e.g. Muzzy)?
Old 02-03-2011, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

I had better results with 3 blade thunderheads but when hunting elk i went to a bigger cut on cantact steef force broadhead but had trouble getting them to fly consistently. My son in law shoots rages and killed a 5x5 elk 2 years ago that left an entry hole as big as his hand. I went to rages last summer and killed a huge doe in the fall. From high shooting down, shot all the way to the fletching from just in front of the tail angling forward down through the body. Even though it didn't exit, there was a good blood trail.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Spike

60 # bows can vary greatly in speed, depending on what brand and how old it is. Your draw length is another critical determining factor. With that said, i have been an avid fan of New Archery Products (NAP) Spitfire broadheads for years. I have had complete pass throughs every time. Never had one open early, like the Rage will, or fail to open. They also leave big holes for easy blood trailing. I love the spitfire mechanicals. Try the 125 grain, you wont be sorry
Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I couldn't possibly know what the best one is!!!

Both my broadheads, the main one and the backup broadhead are both over ten years old. And what broadhead could survive with most archers for ten long years.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slick Tricks fly well, punch deep and leave good exit holes. They're devastating on hogs. They'll do the job out of a 60# bow with ease.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:17 AM
Spike

I use helix by Strickland archery, best things I've ever used. Use them on wage buffalo here and can pass through multiple ribs and the broad head is still perfectly in tact and definitely usable again after a quick sharpen, hold their edge incredibly well and come sharp as!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Spike

^water buffalo
Old 04-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

45+ years of bowhunting experience I have used several different types of BHs. I've even tried the hyped up mechanicals. Some BHs. I've used were the original Bear Razorhead, Muzzy 4 blade and 3 blade, Magnus Stingers, Muzzy Phantoms, G5-T3s, Rage, NAP Bloodrunners, Slick Trick Razor Trick and Slick Trick Viper Trick.
Out of all of these I've had the most success with the Magnus Stinger. I shot 7 buck with these BHs and every one died within sight of my treestand. I've also taken 2 bison with them. The only drawback with them is that they are not a very sturdy BH. They fly great out of the package but its hard to tell when they get misaligned and fly erratic. This is the reason - and the only reason I went to the Slick Trick Viper Trick. It has a much stronger steel ferrule and the thick blades are aligned with the cutting edge on the ferrule with a very similar profile to the Stinger. The STs also fly exceptionally well and out of a tuned bow will impact at the same point as a field tip. Personally I like a fixed blade BH and just have not yet got that warm fuzzy feeling with mechanicals.

Last edited by bronko22000; 04-29-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's a 3 1/2 year old thread, he must have found a broadhead by now.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
It's a 3 1/2 year old thread, he must have found a broadhead by now.
DING DING DING! We have a winner, chicken dinner!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.