Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Yellowstone is Dead

Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

The real problem is not the wolf ,it 's the management of them. They are treated like a sacred cow which is wrong. The biggest problem is the removal of humans out of the equation. Wolves were always hunted by the natives for clothing and food. Coyotes and Wolves were always part of the food chain but seems like scientists overlook the human elements.
The person early on that makes the statement about who contols the population hit the nail on the head. We are the problem not the wolf itself . The emotional irrational Disney tree hugger types that don't allow population control.
Introduction of the wolf wasn't bogus science ,it did help the Yellowstone. One could plainly see the new growth around streams and rivers and the park started to look like it did from days when the wolf did exist from old accounts and the earliest pictures. The wolf does belong in the park but like anything else it's numbers need to be controled also.
For you bear attack types, have you ever read early accounts of trappers and the need for "bear doors" ? The great bears have always be oppurtunistic and looked at man as a easy meal at times.

Last edited by Ruddyduck; 01-11-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
Everone needs to practice the three S rule, shoot, shovel, and shut the ---- up.
Fritz,sorry but I have to disagree with ya on this.I follow the 2 "S" rule......... shoot & shoot some more.Effem let them find them!!

While we dont have wolfs where I hunt we have coyotes and coye-dogs.The farmers are always happy when you exterminate this pest from their property.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

I don't really know much about the wolf issue as I don't live in a state where you'll find wolves. But if I did live in an area that had them and I thought I was loosing livestock to them, or if I believed the game animals were being eradicated by the wolves, I'd probably do something about it. Especially on my own land.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like it or not, in many states. Killing a wolf is a Federal Felony.

This carries with it the right to never own a gun ever again.
The right to never hunt again.
Tens of thousands of dollars in fines, and several years in Federal Prison.
I don't care for the Wolves around here myself. But I'm not going to chance years wasted in Prison, fines I'll never be able to pay, and worst. Not being able to own a gun and use it to hunt.

Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming I think are the three states that instituted a Wolf season.
Minneosta, Michigan and Wisconsin, who also have a expanding wolf populations, don't have a wolf season. Though I think they should.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Isnt the whole point of SSS to not talk about it? Why bring attention to it?

Oh and Im sure this will not air on discovery or any other mainstream liberal media outlet.

We as hunters have to face the reality, that as destructive as wolves and coyotes are, the general public cares F-all whether we have elk, moose or deer to hunt. They only care about the cute lil fuzzy wolfs rights, so dont expect any sympathy to come from this movie, if even if more than a few people actually even see it.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
Fritz,sorry but I have to disagree with ya on this.I follow the 2 "S" rule......... shoot & shoot some more.Effem let them find them!!

While we dont have wolfs where I hunt we have coyotes and coye-dogs.The farmers are always happy when you exterminate this pest from their property.
I will have to agree, the two s rule does sound better.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
Like it or not, in many states. Killing a wolf is a Federal Felony.
I didn't know that. The last thing a hunter or anyone eles for that matter needs is a felony wrap against them.What if you need to kill the wolf in lets say a self defense kind of sitituation,how could the warden prove you different? Are ranchers permited to kill them if they become a livestock threat?

I fish on a shallow lake in upstate NY called Black Lake. The lake is renouned for it's bass fishery.There's about a dozen camps on the lake and roughly about another dozen bussiness' that count on that fishery for these bussiness' to survive.

Well a few years back they developed a Cormorant problem,these birds were devouring fish.It's a federaly protected bird.

To make a long story short the locals "fixed" the Cormorant issue on their own to protect their livelyhood.

My point is sometimes you got take care of these issues cause the misinformed "tree huggers" have a louder voice & heavier wallet than we do with people in politics.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with you Jerry, I'm not in a wolf area... But I know if they told me I wasnt allowed to shoot yotes anymore, I'd still be shooting them. Wild dogs are a huge problem around here. They get it too. If the wolf is doing as much damage as some ppl say, something is gonna have to be done.
-Jake
Old 01-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I saw a recent TV show, Expedition Wild with Casey Anderson, on the reintroduction of the wolf in Yellowstone.

http://www.peoplepets.com/news/video...n-new-season/1

It seemed to take a positive position for the ecological benefits and the benefits to the health of the elk herd (even the benefit to Pronghorn & bears).

We as hunters, the true conservationist of the ecology and for all wildlife, need to be more actively involved in putting pressure on the politicians and judges to insure that these resources will be secured for many generations to come.

Last edited by Sheridan; 01-12-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

have no speakers here so dont know what is said,
but just the source of the vid has me skeptical on validaty of info,
friends of elk herd foundation? they wouldnt be biased would they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.