HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Father & Son looking for ELK hunting Advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/337409-father-son-looking-elk-hunting-advice.html)

Blink 12-31-2010 02:56 PM

Father & Son looking for ELK hunting Advice

First off, thanks for taking the time to read my post. My son (14) and I are looking to head out west this next fall in pursuit of ELK in CO or any western state for DIY. I went on a guided hunt about 15-years ago with a guide (archery) in Idaho and after 6-days finally shot a bull. So I have limited elk hunting knowledge. Now that my son is of age and we have been practicing, practicing, practicing... Archery we are ready as a team to head out and try our luck.

We would like to spike it out somewhere so we can hunt right from our tent in the morning. Willing to pack in within reason to get us into game. Not looking for trophy elk but trying to at least see some and have a shot (so quantity over quality). I want a good experience for my son and I, we are willing to work hard but not climb Mt. Everest. Prefer to be by ourselves as much as possible and not a bunch of other hunters...main reason why we are going archery. A tag that is easy to get is also a benefit since I will have to take time from work well in advance.

Love Colorado but open to any Western state if you think it is better considering my situation. Any help, tips, resources, UNIT, I would greatly appreciate. I have one friend who rifle hunts (unit 35-Colorado) and said he can show me where to go in there. However, he has never archery hunted it. Worth it? Thank you very much!

salukipv1 12-31-2010 05:57 PM

I think I'd focus on NM, CO, WY, maybe MT

Private land and an outfitter would certainly increase your odds.

RaghornHS 01-01-2011 05:43 AM

Montana would be a great choice for 2011. Draw odds for the elk/deer combo will probably be 100%.

Blink 01-01-2011 08:49 AM

salukipv1, now way can I afford a guide, way to much $$$. Looks like MT came up twice. Any recommended units for Archery in MT... one that I can spike out in somewhere, and is not to crowded?

Wolf killer 01-01-2011 09:38 AM

Blink, I am not sure if you are open to a cow/calf only elk hunt? I currently live in Montana, I used to live in Wyoming. Wyoming offers a Type-6 Cow/Calf elk tag that is cheap. I buy this tag every year and hunt elk in September with a rifle. I will buy this tag again in 2011 and be rifle hunting cow elk on September-1st.

Wyoming also offers Type-9 archery only tags that you can apply for. They have good draw odds and low hunter pressure.

You can also subscribe to the Eastmans' Hunting Journal they give out draw odd and areas in there MRS section. The only catch is you must be a subscriber to the magazine to get this information. The MRS section is not included in the news stand copy.

NCZ09 01-01-2011 07:05 PM

So far hunting out West is just a dream I have, but I do subscribe to Eastman's Hunting Journal. Wolf Killer is right there is alot of good info in the MRS section. They also have a magazine devoted to bowhunting. You can subscribe to both and get both MRS sections or subscribe to one and have access to the other one online.
I just renewed my subscription for 24.99. The Dec-Jan issue of the hunting journal covers Wyoming elk. According to their schedule Feb-March will cover Montana general elk and deer. If you give them a call they can probably send you the Dec-Jan issue. Once you are a subscriber you'll have access to the MRS sections online. WWW.eastmans.com. I hope this helps!

bigbulls 01-01-2011 09:11 PM

If you want quantity with a pretty good chance at quality then go to Colorado. They have the highest elk population of any state in the nation. White River national forest has the highest elk density in the state. I hunt unit 45 south of I-70 when I go (haven't been able to in a number of years :s7:). The population there is outstanding and there are trophy elk there despite it being an OTC unit. Most archery tags for elk in Colorado are either sex (see link below) so you aren't restricted to just a bull or cow.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonl...rcheryGMUs.pdf

Blink 01-02-2011 03:47 PM

Thanks everyone for all the info! I did subscribe to Eastmans and got that info so studying up. But very few offer decent draw odds (Type-9) unless you shell out for the $1,000 one or go to the Wilderness areas which then you need a guide. So Wyoming is a tough one at-a-glance.

BigBulls, thanks a ton for that, I will look into that unit and the link to that map!! Any access points I can go in at and hike in a ways (2-4 miles) and camp? Or can you camp closer and get into ELK? Just do not want to get my son and I “over our heads” getting to deep in case something should happen.

longknife12 01-02-2011 05:02 PM

You mite want to check on Colorado areas 21 and 30. South of Rangely.I've got several friends that swear by the area.Good luck!
Dan

RIbadazzz 01-02-2011 06:05 PM

Everyone has the same odds in NM, perhaps put in for a great unit as a 1st choice, and decent/good unit in norther NM as a 2nd choice, perhaps you'll draw either tag...

I'd stay out of wolf/griz country as #'s of elk are hurting.

I think you can buy CO elk tags OTC esp for archery? so that could leave you as a backup plan case you don't draw a tag somewhere else...?

You may just want to put in for a good unit in NM as a 1st choice, ie not a great unit as a 1st choice.

If you do your research, take a look at draw odds, and success rates, ie a unit with 90% kill vs. another with 20% kill, could sway your choice.