Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Ever wore out pair of boots? >

Ever wore out pair of boots?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Ever wore out pair of boots?

Old 12-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

A good boot is just getting broken in after a couple weeks hunting.

I bought some new boots this year after my existing boots were losing their waterproofing and starting to show some wear after 2 years of hunting with them. I did quite a bit of research and test fitting and ended up with a pair of Meindl Denalis from Cabelas. I liked the Hanwag Alaskan better, but they didn't fit me as well so I ended up with the Meindl.

A great place to read some detailed reviews is www.hardcoreoutdoor.com

Lowa, Hanwag, Kennetrek, Meindl, and Asolo are some brands you could look into. I think it would be pretty much impossible to wear out any of those in two weeks without using a chainsaw on them.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:16 AM
Typical Buck

I never wore out a pair of boots hunting, but I wear boots 365 days a year. I been wearing Whites for the last 8 years, the best investment in boots I have made. I have two pair and just keep rebuilding them.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm almost kind of amused to find something here not related to denigrating one caliber or another!

It's probably reflective of my light infantry roots, but I've definitely developed some preferences regarding footwear over the years.

First - across Alaska, Colorado, Wyoming, and Northern Iraq, I've not found any sole that wears better than the good old Vibram.

Second - the sole is most often the first part of a boot that I see wear out. If that sole is chemically bonded (glued) to an otherwise serviceable upper, the boot is nonetheless done. If that sole is stitched to the upper the old-fashioned way, it's generally just a matter of having it re-soled.

Third - There's a right tool for every job. You wouldn't use a flat-tip screwdriver to drive a cross-tip screw, right? You'd do well then not wearing a pair of lightweight bonded hikers to haul yourself and 90 pounds of rifle and gear up to your elk camp. If you would, not only are you stressing your footwear beyond their intended use, but you're risking ankle injuries by not providing them adequate support under load.

For light-duty summer hiking, even some early Deer and Pronhorn hunts, I'll wear a pair of lightweight, bonded-sole hikers. I'm not carrying a load, temperatures are usually mild, and it's generally pretty dry. I plan on replacing them every other year.

For heavy-duty hiking and for late-season Deer and Elk hunts, I'll wear one of two pairs of tried-and-true, stitched-sole Danners I've had and used heavily since 1987. Both pairs have been re-soled, one of them is ready for its third.

This fall, I considered retiring the more worn of the Danners. Everyone told me "Meindl", but the bonded sole is a deal-breaker for me. If I do replace that pair, it'll be with another pair of Danners or a pair of Cabela's Outfitter Pros - both of those have stitched soles.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Spike

lol i think he means hes just getting them broke in on one hunt..