Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Ever wore out pair of boots? >

Ever wore out pair of boots?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Ever wore out pair of boots?

Old 12-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
I do in September I buy brahma's hunting boot it has the softest sole I've seen yet. But it's 50% quieter than any boot I've worn for bowhunting. Great for stalking. They last about a good months worth and they start to lose water proofing and most times have holes from rocks here and there.
I have used brahma's,
waterproofing does not last long,
to get more life out of the waterproofing,
I coat them on occassion, and wax the seams,
Old 12-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wore out a pair from Cabela's in 1 year. I just replaced my Danner Pronghorns after 2 years, no tread left. I replaced them with the GTX's - hopefully they will last at least a year.

I do a lot of hiking in bad weather, and rough terrain - makes for a good test for boots.

Later,

Marcial
Old 12-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only had one pair of boots completely come apart. That was a pair of Redhead Snake Boots that I wore pretty hard for eight years.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by justhuntitall
I will take pics and post. Stitching around the the toes come loose sole wants to separate. This year killed a bull over 3 miles in and took nine loads to get him out But I have done that before . Maybe I just have gotten Lemons by bad luck . Should of had over 100 miles in the 2 weeks would of been close. I will get some pics up.
I too hunt elk and wear some 400 Gr Danner Grand Slams..(modified pronghorns) and in the past 5 years we have taken 10 elk all of which needed back packing out. Two bulls came out of a Colorado wilderness area about 5 miles back and at 11,500 feet all the way back to the trail head at 9100 feet. That is all by itself a lot of walking in rough shale and rock. I only use the Danners on western hunts or an occasional hike here in New England but they still look and feel great after 5 years. The only maintenance I have done is to put some mink oil on the leathers to keep them from drying out. Try a pair of Danners next time and you might get more use out of them.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

Danner is a good boot but think there quality has fallen off over the last few years compared to there older boot. I spend many a day in the field during the fall, and normally get 1-2 hunting seasons out of my boots before I get another pair.
Kenetrek has a great boot for mountain hunting that Im using now and they are great.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah same with Rocky's,when they first came out they were great you could wear them till they look like hell and still not leak but now they seem to leak out of the box . I think a pair of Danner's going to be my next buy .

I only use Lacross Alpha burly 800's Knee boots in my home state try to keep smell down till it gets real cold then Rocky Snow-stalker Extremes have had them for about 10 years what a great pair of boots feet do not get cold and have never had wet feet!
Old 12-24-2010, 03:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Unfortunately a lot of the boots today are made in China and LaCrosse is a good example. The new boots don't last as long as the old ones. I switched to Muck Woody Max for my rubber boots and they are much more comfortable, warmer and are lighter. they go on and off much easier but the down side is they are about 50% more expensive. I haven't noticed the Danner boots to have degraded but do know that some of their line is now made in China. the Rocky boots used to be great and many were made and marketed in Nelsonville OH. The factory store is still there or at least was 3 years ago. Their boots are all China made and aren't anywhere as good as when they were made here.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Danner still has a good boot. What I have noticed the most is the sizing of the boot has fallen off in quality. I use to be able to buy the same size boot with out trying them on with out any problems. Made buying them online or over the phone easy and have shipped to my doorstep. Now they might be bigger or smaller which makes ordering them online/phone impossible now, alteast for me it is. I knew of the Kenetrek boot being good. So gave them a try and more than pleased. Only regret wish I would have switched sooner to Kenetreks.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Spike

Most of the truelly good hunting boot have very little exposed stitching. The only benefit to exposed seams are wet feet. For eleven years i wore sinthetic boots guiding four to five sheep hunts a year in some of the worst conditions boot will ever see. The only thing i ever wore out were soles. Now i am wearing kenetrecs and could not be more happy. I was a little concerned at first but after a few sheep hunts in some nasty country, i see i am going to get my moneys worth
Old 12-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

9 loads to get an elk out, ya gotta learn to do something different because we hauled out a Yukon mooose in 9 loads and can do any elk with no more than 4 loads.

As far as good boots, I also used to really like Rocky boots, seemed like they would last almost forever, then the last pair I bought, before a trip to AK, only lasted almost one year before they started to leak water real bad.
Using Lacrose now and they seem like they only last about 3 seasons which isn't very good either. I'm on my 2nd pair of Lacross so we'll see if they last any longer. The first set of them eventually rotted/ripped out the side.
I've never worn out a sole on any boots, except my work boots.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.