Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Best boot waterproofing??? >

Best boot waterproofing???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best boot waterproofing???

Old 12-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
And your GoreTex won't breath.
Haven't personally found that to be the case. For one thing, all lether/gore tex boots don't really breath that well anyway. I like Sno seal, but my only complaint is that it has to be reapplied each year if you do much wet walking.

And Sno seal has a different take on its breathability:

Sno-Seal Original Beeswax Waterproofing protects leather from rain, sun, snow, and salt. The beeswax formula dries to a solid wax that "stays put" in the surface of the leather so it lasts longer.

Our competitors' greases, oil, and animal products are able to migrate through the leather till they clog all the pores. These waterproofing products fill the natural spaces that are supposed to absorb perspiration and insulate.

In addition, animal fats weaken and rot leather. The tannery worked hard to remove the fats and preserve the leather, so it's hard to imagine why you'd put it back on.

Sno-Seal will help you feel more comfortable in Gore-Tex® fabric lined boots because it allows the Gore-Tex®-absorbed perspiration to escape out of the leather.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try to find out what kind of boot dressing is appropriate for your boots and use it.

With reference to Sno-seal, I used this on a pair of backpacking boots that should have been treated in a different manner. The sno-seal sure enough was waterproof . . . but this worked both ways. It kept water out . . . and it kept water in, notably the perspiration of my feet. This foot perspiration was pronounced and constant to the extent my skin softened over two days and I blistered badly. These are boots I had previously broken in and worn on exactly the same backpacking route years previously.

So, find out what the manufacturer recommends and use that.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is just my observaion, worth exactly what you paid for it. If you don't buy boots made of waterproof materials then they won't be waterproof....period. I have owned leather boots dressed with just about everything known to man to keep them waterproof. Doesn't work. My "Bass Pro Shops", on sale, goretex, thinsulate, cordura, cheap, closeout priced hunting boots are water prroof to the point of me being able to stand in a river indefinitely and come out with dry feet. No Sno Seal, Camp Dry, Silicone,mink oil, paste wax, boot goo, spray on will ever allow leather boots to do that.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

Leather boots will eventually soak through, it happens, ive hunted the backcounrty with feet of snow on the ground and my leather boots eventually broke down and soaked up the water. I used Sno Seal everyday to try and fight this, but a good rubber is going to be your best bet for full waterproof, try Schnees boots. So finding a cure doesnt not seem to be in the future, a constant water will eventually find its way in on a porus material like leather.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Spike

nothing worse than wet feet guick way to blisters and rubber boots make your feet wet with sweat.
avoid water based better off with petroleam basesd product.
I tried marine grease left over from the trailer axles and no water gets through that.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Banned

I believe they say the linings are waterproof, not the boot.
Anyhoo................. I got new boots and used "Cabelas Silicone Boot Dressing" for the first time. Had excellent results. I hunt the Rockies and you walk in streams, wet grass, snow, etc and had zero wet feet. It is a liquid too and easy to apply. Make sure you do sewn seams 2-3 times, lots of leaks there.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Spike

Hubbards boot grease! Been using it for years. Never let me down. Any local tack store.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for all the replies guys and sorry it took me so long to get back. To be clear, when I say I "waded" in a shallow creek I really meant I was in and out in about 30 seconds while crossing (twice). I did not expect soggy socks from that...with these boots. I admit I have had them a couple years and haven't done a thing to them....but still.................I guess its time to dope them up with something. Thanks again
Merry xmas
hb