Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
MT elk fee going from $643 to over $900! >

MT elk fee going from $643 to over $900!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

MT elk fee going from $643 to over $900!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by justhuntitall
LOl you watch to much TV , its not like that at all . Kinda of like sitting on a logging road blow my bugle once and have a 300" bull run into clearing for a 20 yards broad side shot but pass because we will get a bigger one here in a bit.

I do agree its about the experience to each his own. With that said I love to chase elk cant get enough of it . Its like a drug and I guess the states know this and that's why they can charge what they want .

AK Jeff Why do you prefer MT over AK just curious, I would assume AK would have everything to offer that MT does?
Obviously my previous scenario isn't an all encompassing description of hunting Illinois, but you have to admit that treestand hunting a small area is pretty much the norm for midwest hunting. My point is you can't ride a mule through miles of mountainous country, and spot and stalk numerous species of big game in your neck of the woods. If you like treestand hunting whitetails then more power to you. I've done it, but if that's all I had to do I'd probably give up hunting.

As far as comparing MT and AK each have their own perks and pitfalls. I don't know that I really prefer one completely over the other. Alaska wins hands down for the wilderness quality and the unique species that are available. The problem with Alaska is game densities are generally very, very low, and access is often difficult and expensive. Montana generally has cheap access, but competition is usually greater, and you can't get a moose, sheep, and goat tag over the counter there like you can in Alaska. In Montana it's a lot easier to be a weekend warrior type, where in Alaska you have to dedicate more time and resources and to getting out. But in Alaska you can go spring caribou hunting in the Brooks Range, and you can trap and shoot wolves so it's all a game of give and take. Alaska by no means has everything that Montana has to offer and vice versa.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the comparison.

I have to this day took more whitetails from the ground then tree stand , but if I had to pick I would rather hunt way in and not worry about where I'm at till I have to leave . And never ever hunt with a guide.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reciprocity only works when both sides have something of value to gain. Can one access those 200-300 class whitetails in IL without a lease? If not, what's the cost of the lease going to be?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

I've been hunting out west since around 1996 DIY and just love it out there. Wish I'd started in my 20's instead of late 30's. Hunted CO, MT, and Utah thus far. Not really a trophy hunter although I'd love to take a big bull or muley. If that's the only reason I went then I'd quit. With price change in Montana my 3 brothers bowed out this year but I put in anyway. Heck, I could waste $200 on something stupid in a heartbeat. I'll go as long as I can afford to and my legs will carry me. I can still hunt deer in Montana for what Iowa charges for a non res license and I'd much rather cover ground than sit in a treestand all day!! I love every bit of the experience from researching new areas/points to scouring the topo software maps to the travel out there and the anticipation of the hunt and spending time in the woods with hunting partners. It's all good....
Old 03-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

The NR license Increase Is a bunch of BS If you ask me! A few of you act as this Is a good thing. Elk hunting out west has become a rich mans sport, that's depressing as hell!!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Schultzy
The NR license Increase Is a bunch of BS If you ask me! A few of you act as this Is a good thing. Elk hunting out west has become a rich mans sport, that's depressing as hell!!
I don't know if it was brought up on this thread and I am not going to go back and look. They got rid of the outfitter sponsered tag and threw every body in the lottery. So the guys who had the money to get raped $1500 for a sponsered tag have to draw like every one else now and jacked up the price figuring they will be putting in for a lottery tag. IMHO
Old 03-22-2011, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going to be selfish for a minute.

I hope this doesn't drive more hunters to Colorado. It's hard enough to get a licence now. I shouldn't have that problem as a resident, but I do. Something is wrong when I can't hunt my own state.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I'm going to be selfish for a minute.

I hope this doesn't drive more hunters to Colorado. It's hard enough to get a licence now. I shouldn't have that problem as a resident, but I do. Something is wrong when I can't hunt my own state.
What license is hard for a resident to get?

I certainly don't think it's because non-residents are getting all those tags...CO has a large population compared to many western states, so of course more people applying in their home state means less chance of drawing.

I find it funny how many residents of western states refuse to hunt another state...especially when their home state has horrible odds for a particular specie, but a state or two away has great odds. I'm always a non-res out west, so I apply to just about every western state. But residents of MT, CO, etc...only apply to their home state, least that's what most say when I bump into them.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I moved here, because it's the best state for elk. Why would I want to go to another state?

What licence is hard to get? Bull elk muzzleloading in my area.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

If info from another forum is to be believed Montana's plan is backfiring a bit. Apparantly there are around 2000 Deer/Elk combo tags leftover as of March 24.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.