Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Do outfitters have minimum caliber requirements? >

Do outfitters have minimum caliber requirements?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Do outfitters have minimum caliber requirements?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the show me rule................more important then which caliber you use.

Put out a paper plate at the distance you say you can shoot.

Put 10 out of 10 in the plate, and that how far you can shoot.

Just to humble you, try it free hand !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-06-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default yep

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I like the show me rule................more important then which caliber you use.

Put 10 out of 10 in the plate, and that how far you to shoot.

Most wouldn't be able to do it at 100yds off hand....I can say that i would be hard pressed to put all ten in a 8-10in paper plate @ 100 yds offhand.....but with my bipod and sitting or prone, is a different story... the high desert/shrub steppe that I hunt is perfect for using it, because U normally have allot of open ground between U and the animal!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan

Put 10 out of 10 in the plate, and that how far you can shoot.

Yup I agree with you. Now through in you're shooting at an animal,your adrenaline is pumping,and accuracy goes to hell in a hand basket!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

the eskimos (inuit) indians have been using the 22 hornet for years to hunt POLAR BEARS.
so IMO use what is legal, you can shoot proficiently with in most hunting conditions and feel comfortable with.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Spike

Default Agreed

Originally Posted by Muley70
I'm an outfitter here in Montana and our state has no min caliber requirements, however, if you say you are bringing a .22 I wouldn't let you hunt with us. Every outfitter knows his area and the average range most bulls are shot at. I don't know of any outfitter that is going to be happy about anything less than a .270. At the end of the day a dead shot with a lighter caliber and self disciple will have more success than a knuckle head with a .338 rum. Personally, I am a big fan of heavier calibers and magnums, and I hold to the old theory of shoot as much gun as you can handle accurately. Usually, most of our hunters ask me what I think they should bring, and I tell them the weapon they are most comfortable with. 99.99% of all hunters never get involved in praticing stess shooting, rather on a bench. Some of our Army guys have and do practice stress shooting. A guy who routinely practices off the bench in Wisconsin at 100 yards, may have some difficulty with shot placement at 300 yards having just humped up a steep slope in 10 degree weather. Shot placement becomes critical.

This guy shares the same feelings as me. The bigger the gun the better but more importantly the bullet still has to hit the right spot. A 270 win in light but has a lot of elk under its belt. I have seen several elk shot with a .243 or 6mm and they went down fast but these shots were perfect lung shot every time. www.coloradoelkcamp.com
Old 12-12-2010, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rem250
the eskimos (inuit) indians have been using the 22 hornet for years to hunt POLAR BEARS.
so IMO use what is legal, you can shoot proficiently with in most hunting conditions and feel comfortable with.

Which is fine when you can sneak up on one and put it in his ear. I sure the fvck wouldn't want a 22 hornet in my hands when a 1200 pound polar bear was coming at me psissed off.