Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
.44 Magnum in the mountains of Utah and Colorado?? >

.44 Magnum in the mountains of Utah and Colorado??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

.44 Magnum in the mountains of Utah and Colorado??

Old 11-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Spike

Default .44 Magnum in the mountains of Utah and Colorado??

I need wisdom from experienced mountain people:

I am from the low lands of Louisiana and Mississippi where a .357 Magnum handgun can protect you from about anything while in the backwoods.

But, my kids and I are beginning to spend more time in the mountains of Utah and Colorado. Long hikes or backcountry runs. Being a dad I worry about protecting them. What my two boys and I have are Ruger Super Blackhawks .44 Magnums with the 7 1/2" barrels. I know that these are not hand-cannons, but I thought about packing these along. We love them and shoot them fairly well.

Should I leave the single-actions home and get double-action revolvers?

Should I go up a caliber?

What do ya'll say? I am open to input.

Thanks

Last edited by Southern Shooter; 11-19-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been hunting in the mountains of Colorado for the last 17 years. I also spent another 2 1/2 years stationed at Fort Carson. The only thing I have ever needed protection from was the weather. Bad weather, bad decisions or lack of preparation, will get you a lot faster than wild animals. That being said, a 44 mag will stop any creature that we have here in Colorado. A 44 mag WON'T stop you from getting lost or freezing to death.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I've been hunting in the mountains of Colorado for the last 17 years. I also spent another 2 1/2 years stationed at Fort Carson. The only thing I have ever needed protection from was the weather. Bad weather, bad decisions or lack of preparation, will get you a lot faster than wild animals. That being said, a 44 mag will stop any creature that we have here in Colorado. A 44 mag WON'T stop you from getting lost or freezing to death.

True words!
Dan
Old 11-19-2010, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

My friend from Colorado has a valid point; however, being a paranoid type I always carry anyway. I'm more worried about two-legged critters than four-legged ones -- the human race seems to be the only one imbued with true evil.

BUT, when in the mountains I carry a .44 magnum. It will work against two-legged and four-legged critters. A .357 will be fine against anything in Colorado, though (some folks hunt black bear with them).
Old 11-19-2010, 06:12 AM
Spike

Default Planning, lost, and the weather....

Yes, I learned some time back that the mountains can create their own weather separate from the surounding lower land areas. So far, I have done well being cautious and perhaps overly planning in terms of the elements.

And, being lost is not something I want to have happen. Good topo maps and long time experience with a compass help there. So far, so good.

And, I agree. The two-legged creatures worry me most. I have spent the last 20 years working in the Psychology Department of a Federal prison. The things I have learned would add to your paranoia.

Anyway, thanks for the info. More please.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with CC - the mountains will kill you quicker than the critters in them will.

Heck, the other day, I turned the dogs loose on a lion track from my 4 wheeler and about 3 miles from my truck. I started hiking, and was halfway up the mountain when I realized my gun (any gun) was in the truck! And I was intentionally going after a lion!!

They are more scared of us then we of them.

Later,

Marcial
Old 11-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Very true words. Only four leg critter I am weary of in Colorado is a female bear with cubs. I carry a Glock 40 in the field, works good against two legged critters and would probably work against a bear. Not the ideal bear round, but I have 15 shots if needed.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

44Mag is a good mountain gun. I'm from Lafourche Parish and live in Colorado now. I carry a 40S&W and feel that it is all the gun I need for protection in the mountains. As mentioned before, the elements are more then likely to be a bigger threath then anything you will need a gun for.