HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   How to tell the age of elk droppings (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/333683-how-tell-age-elk-droppings.html)

stuckinthereeds 11-08-2010 10:42 AM

How to tell the age of elk droppings

I'm just wondering how to tell the age. Right now I just guestimate. few hours to few days?

salukipv1 11-08-2010 11:23 AM

if they're hot and taste fresh, they're fresh!

I step on them...

green and moist, very fresh, probably a few hours or less...

rock hard, old.

soft, 1-3 days?

Colorado Cajun 11-08-2010 11:42 AM

If I'm not sure by looking at it, I'll pick up a pellet or two and feel for moisture on the outside. The outside dries quickly. Sometimes I'll step on them too to see how soft they are.

finnbear 11-08-2010 06:40 PM

If ya find some in mid air between the ground and the elks butt they're fresh, after they hit the ground who cares??? what difference does it make if ya find a pile of poop unless ya can tell where the animal went.............

skb2706 11-09-2010 05:50 AM

If the center is soft and chewy they are less than two days old.

Really if they aren't steaming does it matter. Elk can cover 10 miles in an hour easy. Say the turds in question are 3 hours old....you can do the math.

Colorado Cajun 11-09-2010 02:07 PM

I think it matters. Elk can and sometimes will cover long distances but it does help to identify pattererns and if elk are in the imediate area. It's just one more piece to add to the puzzle when determining a plan to get into some elk. Each has their own beliefs but I can tell you one thing, I don't spend a lot of time in areas where there is no fresh dropping.

finnbear 11-09-2010 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun (Post 3718697)
I think it matters. Elk can and sometimes will cover long distances but it does help to identify pattererns and if elk are in the imediate area. It's just one more piece to add to the puzzle when determining a plan to get into some elk. Each has their own beliefs but I can tell you one thing, I don't spend a lot of time in areas where there is no fresh dropping.

And U can waste a lot of time in a area with lots of fresh droppings, but the elk aren't theree because they moved into the area that U just left that had no droppings... I have s watched elk come in from little brown specks through 16X binos, to right on top of me in just a very short time, I want to be where they are going not where they have been!!! I have gotten more elk when they are coming at me than when I'm chasin them!!!!

2 Samuel 22:35 11-09-2010 06:53 PM

Get your hands dirty and pick it up...sqeeze it, and smell it. If it's soft and smells strong you are pretty fresh also it should look wet. If it's old it will be hard and crumble in your hands it will also not smell a lot. I don't know how to help you with the time thing but that's how I measure the freshness of scat.

charlie brown 11-10-2010 03:01 AM

If it melts in your mouth and not in your hand.....

Well, nevermind, I was thinking of my favorite candy....:)

Colorado Luckydog 11-11-2010 06:27 PM

If you think that looking for fresh sign, is a waiste of time, your wrong. Scouting for elk can be as productive as scouting for whitetail, geese, ducks, turkey or almost any other kind game. Fresh elk sign is the next best thing to seeing elk. If you scout an area with no fresh sign and you choose that place to hunt, your a big dummy. To think anything different is assinine.