Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Best 300 win mag Bullet for Grizz >

Best 300 win mag Bullet for Grizz

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best 300 win mag Bullet for Grizz

Old 11-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Spike

Default Best 300 win mag Bullet for Grizz

I shoot a 300 win mag currently using 185 Berger Bullets. I have taken BC Moose with it and only used one shot. But I am worried that the Berger bullet wouldnt work well on Grizzly Bears. Your thoughts?

Stewart
Old 11-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a 180 grain Barnes triple shock for elk and I can tell you it flat eats them up. Its the best working bullet Ive seen in quite a while.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info..Does anyone else have in input on the grizzly bear issue.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I was to go with a 300 Win Mag for Grizz
(I wouldn't) my choice would be the 200 gr TBBC if they make them.
If not 180 gr TBBC They don't have a high B.C. but that's not important, they have great sectional density and are designed specifically for this type of hunting.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Spike

So I assume with that type of bullet you are wanting to drive through the entire bear? Or is that not a good idea, do you want the bullet to expend all of its energy inside the animal or pass through?
Old 11-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

A long range hunting show on the outdoor channel "The Best of the West". They always use Berger bullets in a 7mm Rem mag. I'm pretty sure on one show the dropped a grizzly at like 600yds with a berger bullet. I will probably never hunt grizzlys, but I always thought that a 338 was the minimum or maybe 300 ultra mag. I guess bergers must be a real good bullet.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it works on a moose it will work on a bear but personally I would use either 180 grain Swift A-frame or TBBC.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys!! I have had nothing but great luck with the Berger bullets. I have taken several big game animals with it except for a bear and have never had to fire more than two shots. When I shot the moose it penterated the shoulders, then passed through the ribs taking a 6 inch section out and devesating both lungs. However no exit wound but the moose didn't go but 20 yards and tipped over. The caribou I shot took two rounds but more than likely the second round was not needed.

I like sticking with one type of bullet but I have a grizzly bear hunt in June of 2011 and just want to be prepared. Buying a larger gun is no problem but there is something to be said in shooting an all round gun and bullet. Any more input would greatly be apprcicated.

Again thanks!!

Stewart
Old 11-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The thing I like about the TBBC in a 30 cal. Is the fact that it makes a decent size exit hole. At least 1.5 and often 2" wide. When hunting Grizzlies especially with a .30 cal your gonna appreciate this. It is arguably the best lead tipped bullet on the market and is a weight forward bullet.It mushrooms perfectly and is designed to plow and keep on plowing.I have only witnessed one TBBC bullet found on a moose that my cousin shot with a .270 it didn't penetrate the other side but what a beautiful mushroom. The Stamp label on the base of the bullet was untouched and like I said the most perfect mushroom I've ever seen a bullet make. The only downside to these bullets is price, but when your dealing with bears price is nothing.The moose was quatering away from my cousin when he shot it and it plowed head first into the ground.If you choose a .30 cal rifle this bullet would be your best choice.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah one more thing. I have never hunted Grizzlies, but I spend alot of time in their turf with high popualtion of grizzlies, hunting sheep elk and deer and sometimes moose. I bring, and I sleep with 10 ,3006 cartridges, that are loaded with these bullets.When I'm ten thousand feet in the mountains,sleeping in a tent, my gun is loaded everynight with these bullets, when we are gutting game to of us stand guard watching over the guy gutting the animal for protection. We all use TBBC bullets for this.When you see on average 10 Grizzlies a day you don't take chances. But it's what we use for protection reguardless of caliber or crew members brings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.