HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Time to hang it up (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/332195-time-hang-up.html)

Wolf killer 10-19-2010 06:23 AM

Time to hang it up

I have bought my last hunting license for at least a year or two? Hunting with either a rifle or bow just does not get me excited anymore. I am going to clean up all of my hunting gear and put it away just incase I want to hunt at a later date in time???
Hunting over the past five years has become work to me, not a hobby that I enjoy. I need time off and away from the hassle to decide if I want to hunt again?

Good luck hunting to all,

WK

skullman11 10-19-2010 06:32 AM

I fimd that once its in your blood, its very hard to get away from it. Its like an adiction. Good Luck

Denis

npaden 10-19-2010 08:36 AM

Sometimes hunting solo can end up feeling more like a chore than fun, that's for sure. Especially in rough, thick country.

I've found that mixing up the solo time with some time spent hunting with a friend really makes a huge difference. I look forward to hunting elk in Wyoming each year almost as much for the quality time spent with friends as for the time actually out hunting elk.

It also helps to be successful occasionally.

I would have a LOT of free time if I gave up hunting!

Something about hunting still gets my blood pumping though. I just shot a pig the other day and it was just a regular sized pig, nothing special and it was about the 20th pig I've shot in the last 3 years and I still had to work on controlling my breathing and keeping steady when I squeezed off the shot.

Plus I was out of sausage! ;)

genesis27:3 10-19-2010 09:34 AM

How is it possible to get tired of hunting??????

hillbillyhunter1 10-19-2010 10:18 AM

hopefully whatever you want to happen will...I have a feeling you'll be back.

in the meantime, if you want to give me all your maps and info....I'll take it....lol

txhunter58 10-19-2010 11:55 AM

A period without hunting sounds like a good idea. Just be sure it isn't a symtom of a bigger problem: depression. Do you not want to do much of anything, or just hunting?

Another thing to consider: taking a kid hunting.

Good luck!

Sheridan 10-19-2010 12:04 PM

Wolf Killer,

Read these few replys again concerning your post, and consider mentoring.

I think you'll find that VERY REWARDING !

All that knowledge........................Pass it on.

salukipv1 10-19-2010 01:02 PM

WK,

Are you stepping away for a particular reason?

Such as too many hunters on public land? too much pressure/too few game? minimal trophy quality?

Perhaps if that's the case trying a private land hunt, or a new specie might get the juices flowin again...how about dangerous game? something that can kill you? good luck to ya!

I get flustered sometimes myself, have thought about taking a break, but I don't think I can do that, I just need to focus and figure things out, perhaps less hunts but more intense....

Lately I've done more hunting than killing, my success rate is running pretty low lately and I'm flustered, but this year and next, etc...I plan to try to make some improvements to help get the job done!

Nemont 10-19-2010 01:21 PM

Get a good dog and pick up a shotgun and a whole new world of wing shooting opens up to you.

Whether it is chasing grouse or decoying mallards on the water or fooling big honkers to commit to you field spread of deeks wingshooting can bring a new and refreshing change of pace.

I grew tired of shooting deer and elk and took up bird hunting. Now I cannot wait to get back to the field and have started chasing big game again as well.

Nemont

tangozulu 10-19-2010 03:40 PM

Take a break or find someone young who needs a hand. I do not have much hunting time off late but killing is always a low priority. If it got too be easy or important I would probably feekl as you do. That said its something that lives in us and pretty hard to ignore the feeling.
Good luck............

arrow2512 10-19-2010 04:52 PM

I to am starting to feel that way .I guess it's because all i get is small bucks ,if i had a place where i can atleast see or get a nice buck my feelings would change. I only have 25-30 acres to hunt on .I don't like hunting public land to many crazy out there with a gun and by that i mean if it takes off they unload there gun not thinking there might be someone on the next ridge .I hope my feelings change because i know deep down i don't want to give it up. I love being out in the woods i don't always have to get a deer to injoy being out there but it would be nice to get a nice buck.

tangozulu 10-20-2010 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by arrow2512 (Post 3705583)
I to am starting to feel that way .I guess it's because all i get is small bucks ,if i had a place where i can atleast see or get a nice buck my feelings would change. I only have 25-30 acres to hunt on .I don't like hunting public land to many crazy out there with a gun and by that i mean if it takes off they unload there gun not thinking there might be someone on the next ridge .I hope my feelings change because i know deep down i don't want to give it up. I love being out in the woods i don't always have to get a deer to injoy being out there but it would be nice to get a nice buck.

I suggest lettin the little ones walk and just hold out for somethink better. Besides the work begins after pullin the trigger.
Waiting is far more fun to me.

finnbear 10-21-2010 10:57 AM

When they spread my ashes over my favorite hunting spot, I guess I'll be done....hell sometimes I just head for the hills and take a book along with my rifle!!!
I'm not out there for the trophy of a lifetime or such ...just out to get away and bring home some meat if possible...hunted tuesday and wed. with my nephew takin my daughter sat and sunda....then her and I head to elk camp for 9 days!!!!!!!!
heck I could just sit in a lawncair at camp and watch the ducks land on the waterhole....I'm still huntin!!! LOL!!!!!!!!

Outdoor 10-21-2010 03:30 PM

You need to belong to a camp with a bunch of good guys...My fell apart years ago and I miss not being able to hang out. That was 50% of the season. I go alone everywhere now...headed to Missouri in two weeks...when I'm dead its over...Can u hunt in Heaven? hope they let me in!

arrow2512 10-21-2010 04:18 PM

Tango -Well bud I've done that several time only for the a------------holes in the woods next to me to start shooting every shell they had in there gun then reload and start shooting again so what do you do when you have people like that if it's brown it's down no matter how many shots it takes .

rather_be_huntin 10-22-2010 08:48 AM

Now I've seen it all....WK hangin it up.

You are doing the right thing...take some time off. Hunting is like a good woman...time away makes the heart grow fonder. Once a season starts without you I think you'll find the fire again.

Wolf killer 10-25-2010 08:45 AM

I used to love and live to hunt, now I dread it. I just do not like hunting with the people I am hunting with. I stopped bow hunting a few years back, I wish I would have stopped sooner. I will put my rifle up at the end of the season and not buy another license for the next year, two or more. I just need to take some time off and away from the bad mojo.

GreatHunterWannabe 10-25-2010 07:12 PM

Its ok to take a break for awhile, I have done it, but you'll be back.

homers brother 10-26-2010 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf killer (Post 3708844)
I just need to take some time off and away from the bad mojo.

If that's all it is, you'll probably find yourself back in the woods sooner than you think, but it may ultimately relate back to the reason you started hunting in the first place.

It seems I hear this kind of thing more regularly from guys whose attraction to hunting was and has always been "the trophy." The peripherals matter little to them. I'll come home with landscape photos, even photos of a few LIVE animals, they're only taking trophy shots of themselves and dead animals to post on the internet. It's trophy or nothing. And more often than not, they seem to end up selling off and getting into something else.

I went through something similar a few years ago. I'd taken a couple of nice bucks and bulls, but none spectacular. Not especially impressed with some of the people I hunted with either, I gave up for a year. In that year, I wandered back to what attracted me to the hunt in the first place - family activity, being in the woods and "tuned in" to them. Not at all feeling like I HAD to come home with a trophy every season. The memories made were more valuable.

Along the way, I also picked up pheasant hunting. There's really no such thing as a "trophy" bird, and it's hardly a big deal whether you bag out or not. I don't need to quarter birds to pack them out, either! I've helped teach a couple of hunter safety classes, and have had kids with us in the field lately (and not always our kids) - all of that has been particularly rewarding as well. Hunting once again proves to be something I can look forward to every year.

Good luck

finnbear 10-26-2010 03:36 PM

Well

Originally Posted by Wolf killer (Post 3708844)
I used to love and live to hunt, now I dread it. I just do not like hunting with the people I am hunting with. I stopped bow hunting a few years back, I wish I would have stopped sooner. I will put my rifle up at the end of the season and not buy another license for the next year, two or more. I just need to take some time off and away from the bad mojo.

It seems pretty much like a no brainer to me..........just find some new huntin pards!!!!! It's easy to change rather than give up huntin:confused0024: