HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Time to hang it up (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/332195-time-hang-up.html)

Wolf killer 10-19-2010 06:23 AM

Time to hang it up

I have bought my last hunting license for at least a year or two? Hunting with either a rifle or bow just does not get me excited anymore. I am going to clean up all of my hunting gear and put it away just incase I want to hunt at a later date in time???
Hunting over the past five years has become work to me, not a hobby that I enjoy. I need time off and away from the hassle to decide if I want to hunt again?

Good luck hunting to all,

WK

skullman11 10-19-2010 06:32 AM

I fimd that once its in your blood, its very hard to get away from it. Its like an adiction. Good Luck

Denis

npaden 10-19-2010 08:36 AM

Sometimes hunting solo can end up feeling more like a chore than fun, that's for sure. Especially in rough, thick country.

I've found that mixing up the solo time with some time spent hunting with a friend really makes a huge difference. I look forward to hunting elk in Wyoming each year almost as much for the quality time spent with friends as for the time actually out hunting elk.

It also helps to be successful occasionally.

I would have a LOT of free time if I gave up hunting!

Something about hunting still gets my blood pumping though. I just shot a pig the other day and it was just a regular sized pig, nothing special and it was about the 20th pig I've shot in the last 3 years and I still had to work on controlling my breathing and keeping steady when I squeezed off the shot.

Plus I was out of sausage! ;)

genesis27:3 10-19-2010 09:34 AM

How is it possible to get tired of hunting??????

hillbillyhunter1 10-19-2010 10:18 AM

hopefully whatever you want to happen will...I have a feeling you'll be back.

in the meantime, if you want to give me all your maps and info....I'll take it....lol

txhunter58 10-19-2010 11:55 AM

A period without hunting sounds like a good idea. Just be sure it isn't a symtom of a bigger problem: depression. Do you not want to do much of anything, or just hunting?

Another thing to consider: taking a kid hunting.

Good luck!

Sheridan 10-19-2010 12:04 PM

Wolf Killer,

Read these few replys again concerning your post, and consider mentoring.

I think you'll find that VERY REWARDING !

All that knowledge........................Pass it on.

salukipv1 10-19-2010 01:02 PM

WK,

Are you stepping away for a particular reason?

Such as too many hunters on public land? too much pressure/too few game? minimal trophy quality?

Perhaps if that's the case trying a private land hunt, or a new specie might get the juices flowin again...how about dangerous game? something that can kill you? good luck to ya!

I get flustered sometimes myself, have thought about taking a break, but I don't think I can do that, I just need to focus and figure things out, perhaps less hunts but more intense....

Lately I've done more hunting than killing, my success rate is running pretty low lately and I'm flustered, but this year and next, etc...I plan to try to make some improvements to help get the job done!

Nemont 10-19-2010 01:21 PM

Get a good dog and pick up a shotgun and a whole new world of wing shooting opens up to you.

Whether it is chasing grouse or decoying mallards on the water or fooling big honkers to commit to you field spread of deeks wingshooting can bring a new and refreshing change of pace.

I grew tired of shooting deer and elk and took up bird hunting. Now I cannot wait to get back to the field and have started chasing big game again as well.

Nemont

tangozulu 10-19-2010 03:40 PM

Take a break or find someone young who needs a hand. I do not have much hunting time off late but killing is always a low priority. If it got too be easy or important I would probably feekl as you do. That said its something that lives in us and pretty hard to ignore the feeling.
Good luck............