Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Time to hang it up

Old 10-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

I to am starting to feel that way .I guess it's because all i get is small bucks ,if i had a place where i can atleast see or get a nice buck my feelings would change. I only have 25-30 acres to hunt on .I don't like hunting public land to many crazy out there with a gun and by that i mean if it takes off they unload there gun not thinking there might be someone on the next ridge .I hope my feelings change because i know deep down i don't want to give it up. I love being out in the woods i don't always have to get a deer to injoy being out there but it would be nice to get a nice buck.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by arrow2512
I to am starting to feel that way .I guess it's because all i get is small bucks ,if i had a place where i can atleast see or get a nice buck my feelings would change. I only have 25-30 acres to hunt on .I don't like hunting public land to many crazy out there with a gun and by that i mean if it takes off they unload there gun not thinking there might be someone on the next ridge .I hope my feelings change because i know deep down i don't want to give it up. I love being out in the woods i don't always have to get a deer to injoy being out there but it would be nice to get a nice buck.
I suggest lettin the little ones walk and just hold out for somethink better. Besides the work begins after pullin the trigger.
Waiting is far more fun to me.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

When they spread my ashes over my favorite hunting spot, I guess I'll be done....hell sometimes I just head for the hills and take a book along with my rifle!!!
I'm not out there for the trophy of a lifetime or such ...just out to get away and bring home some meat if possible...hunted tuesday and wed. with my nephew takin my daughter sat and sunda....then her and I head to elk camp for 9 days!!!!!!!!
heck I could just sit in a lawncair at camp and watch the ducks land on the waterhole....I'm still huntin!!! LOL!!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

You need to belong to a camp with a bunch of good guys...My fell apart years ago and I miss not being able to hang out. That was 50% of the season. I go alone everywhere now...headed to Missouri in two weeks...when I'm dead its over...Can u hunt in Heaven? hope they let me in!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

Tango -Well bud I've done that several time only for the a------------holes in the woods next to me to start shooting every shell they had in there gun then reload and start shooting again so what do you do when you have people like that if it's brown it's down no matter how many shots it takes .
Old 10-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

Now I've seen it all....WK hangin it up.

You are doing the right thing...take some time off. Hunting is like a good woman...time away makes the heart grow fonder. Once a season starts without you I think you'll find the fire again.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to love and live to hunt, now I dread it. I just do not like hunting with the people I am hunting with. I stopped bow hunting a few years back, I wish I would have stopped sooner. I will put my rifle up at the end of the season and not buy another license for the next year, two or more. I just need to take some time off and away from the bad mojo.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Its ok to take a break for awhile, I have done it, but you'll be back.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wolf killer
I just need to take some time off and away from the bad mojo.
If that's all it is, you'll probably find yourself back in the woods sooner than you think, but it may ultimately relate back to the reason you started hunting in the first place.

It seems I hear this kind of thing more regularly from guys whose attraction to hunting was and has always been "the trophy." The peripherals matter little to them. I'll come home with landscape photos, even photos of a few LIVE animals, they're only taking trophy shots of themselves and dead animals to post on the internet. It's trophy or nothing. And more often than not, they seem to end up selling off and getting into something else.

I went through something similar a few years ago. I'd taken a couple of nice bucks and bulls, but none spectacular. Not especially impressed with some of the people I hunted with either, I gave up for a year. In that year, I wandered back to what attracted me to the hunt in the first place - family activity, being in the woods and "tuned in" to them. Not at all feeling like I HAD to come home with a trophy every season. The memories made were more valuable.

Along the way, I also picked up pheasant hunting. There's really no such thing as a "trophy" bird, and it's hardly a big deal whether you bag out or not. I don't need to quarter birds to pack them out, either! I've helped teach a couple of hunter safety classes, and have had kids with us in the field lately (and not always our kids) - all of that has been particularly rewarding as well. Hunting once again proves to be something I can look forward to every year.

Good luck
Old 10-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Well

Originally Posted by Wolf killer
I used to love and live to hunt, now I dread it. I just do not like hunting with the people I am hunting with. I stopped bow hunting a few years back, I wish I would have stopped sooner. I will put my rifle up at the end of the season and not buy another license for the next year, two or more. I just need to take some time off and away from the bad mojo.
It seems pretty much like a no brainer to me..........just find some new huntin pards!!!!! It's easy to change rather than give up huntin