HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Anybody use google maps for scouting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/332178-anybody-use-google-maps-scouting.html)

kittitascountyhunter 10-18-2010 06:37 PM

Anybody use google maps for scouting?

I was playing around on google maps awhile back and noticed that they added a topo feature for their maps. since then, i have discovered several small lakes that are tucked away in hollars and valleys where some of the game go to take a break from some of the noisy hunters who cruise the roads in their loud diesels. these free maps from google combined with a little scouting could save a person a lot of time and energy. if any of you have success stories or other thoughts/ opinions on the maps please post.

mi_fiveo 10-18-2010 07:26 PM

I use Google Earth for scouting new hunting spots. The satelite images are very detailed and give you a great look at the terrain. Best of all it is a free download. I highly recommend checking it out.

ACutting 10-19-2010 02:49 AM

Google Maps is now using the same images as Google Earth. I use both depending on if I am home or somewhere else before my hunt. They are excellent tools though.

Colorado Cajun 10-19-2010 02:33 PM

Google Earth, GPS, and Free software that comes with the GPS can save you TONS of time in the field if you learn how to use them all. I spend about 30 - 40 hours on the computer through the year before hunting season creating waypoints on Google Earth, using that to get the coordinates then entering them into the free GPS software to upload to my GPS.

After that I save and print the pictures off Google Earth with my waypoints on it and use that as my map. I can then navigate to any waypoint I want to. That's the best way to find all those little honey holes that you would never know was there. The only cost is a good GPS and a good topo map software. If anyone is looking for a good Colorado Topo for their Garmin, I highly recommend checking out "abovethetimber.com".

It amazes me how many people will pay $300 or more for a good GPS and then never learn how to use it. It can do alot more for you then just keeping you from getting lost.

Colorado Cajun 10-19-2010 02:41 PM

One story to add about using the method I just posted. Three years ago we decided to hunt an area we had never been to before 2 weeks before 2nd rifle. We got OTC tags and could only hunt the last half of the season due to planned engagements. I did that method during those 2 weeks. We got out there in the exact places we wanted to (meadows 2 miles in) and I got my 1st elk. :)

BillBrasky 10-19-2010 10:37 PM

I use google earth for scouting and when I just want to get out of my office for a few minutes. It's a nice mental break to take a virtual walk on my hunting spots after not seeing the sun for 8 hours. As far as the terrain feature, it can be kind of hard to see the subtle dips and hills in the field, but if you turn the elevation exaggeration up to 3 (in tools --> options) you can see all the nuances very clearly. Also, the ruler feature is handy for measuring the distance between landmarks if you don't always have access to a range finder.

Colorado Cajun 10-20-2010 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by HuntRadar (Post 3706040)
Before you leave your office and step into your deer stand, check out www.huntradar.com It's an app for your iphone and/or mobile device. The Android app is coming soon. Even better, it's free! Thanks and good luck this season. --Huntergirl

Do you have an app that I can get control of a satallite with? That's all I want.
:cool15:

rather_be_huntin 10-22-2010 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun (Post 3706203)
Do you have an app that I can get control of a satallite with? That's all I want.
:cool15:

No but a new "drone" app is coming soon.

Valentine 10-23-2010 05:15 AM

It's just a coincidence

But hunters with military training and map reading skills have been using topo maps, in one form or other, for decades.

Did a lot of solo hunting, as some of my aquaintances had no idea how to use a compass and topo map and not get lost.

Spent many a hunt on public and private land as if it were my own private preserve. It's getting easier with the computer maps and gps and even for the untrained. But I'm seeing a lot less of something. And that is staying fit, as more hunters, and people in general, are gaining a lot of excess body weight. It's one thing to know where it is on a map. Another thing to be fit to hike in and out, with a tree stand on the back.

JMBroussard83 10-23-2010 11:12 AM

I've been doing a lot of looking at WMAs in other states as well as my own. I know sometimes it can be hard to determine WMA boundaries and such but then I stumbled upon a great new way to look at GE for scouting.

There are files that you can download which are like a plugin for GE, these ".kml" files can be saved to your computer then you add a new network link in your GE and it pinpoints these areas. Some states have all of their public hunting and fishing grounds plotted out in these plugins.

Here's a link to another forum where the topic was discussed further.
http://www.bayoubucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14851

Taylorman 12-03-2010 05:31 PM

I use Google Earth alot at home. I also downloaded it on my iphone and used it in the field while hunting this year.

djhamilton00 12-09-2010 04:37 AM

We just got back from a hunt in Montana and the guide had a really great feature on his GPS. He owns huntinggpsmaps.com and he has chips for GPS units that show the land you are on as well as the property lines to point out private from public land etc. It's a really neat product and a couple other guides in camp were using it and loved it. I believe he combines land maps with Google earth and this tool is something already developed you can use.

He was using the GPS to track our way points, but he could also check at a moments notice what the land looked like and where we were in conjuction to other landowners property. I could see it being a very useful tool for guys who hunt public land out west.

jdhogg 12-09-2010 09:02 AM

google earth is really quite the tool,helps me find new spots

Terasec 12-09-2010 09:35 AM

satelite maps are great for initial overall view of an area.
but do find they lack lots of detail,
cant tell density,
marsh/wetlands look like open fields,
cant tell whats passible or not,
sat maps are great , but can only work in conjuction with on the ground scouting.

AmericanBwana 12-18-2010 08:17 AM

I have a couple of video's showing you how to use GE on Youtube. You can view them at http://www.youtube.com/americanbwana

I also have some Colorado KML files available (free) at http://gmuresearch.com/kml

GE is a great program.

rlpsystems 12-18-2010 02:27 PM

If I get permission to a new spot, I will google earth it to check it out. Very helpful I do believe. Although I've only done it twice.............

Valentine 12-23-2010 05:05 AM

To think . . .

I had to use topographical maps to do that decades ago.

huntingkidPA 12-30-2010 02:14 PM

topo map and compass with my dad

rden 01-17-2011 12:29 PM

My buddy and I used google maps for our first elk hunt this past year. We have never been to the area and never been elk hunting. We used good maps and identified 3 drainages that we liked. There was one that we just new had to be good. We nailed it- we didn't get an elk but we saw elk every day and worked one for a while until my buddy scared it with some serious grunts.