Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Anybody use google maps for scouting? >

Anybody use google maps for scouting?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Anybody use google maps for scouting?

Old 10-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Spike

Default Anybody use google maps for scouting?

I was playing around on google maps awhile back and noticed that they added a topo feature for their maps. since then, i have discovered several small lakes that are tucked away in hollars and valleys where some of the game go to take a break from some of the noisy hunters who cruise the roads in their loud diesels. these free maps from google combined with a little scouting could save a person a lot of time and energy. if any of you have success stories or other thoughts/ opinions on the maps please post.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

I use Google Earth for scouting new hunting spots. The satelite images are very detailed and give you a great look at the terrain. Best of all it is a free download. I highly recommend checking it out.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:49 AM
Fork Horn

Google Maps is now using the same images as Google Earth. I use both depending on if I am home or somewhere else before my hunt. They are excellent tools though.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Google Earth, GPS, and Free software that comes with the GPS can save you TONS of time in the field if you learn how to use them all. I spend about 30 - 40 hours on the computer through the year before hunting season creating waypoints on Google Earth, using that to get the coordinates then entering them into the free GPS software to upload to my GPS.

After that I save and print the pictures off Google Earth with my waypoints on it and use that as my map. I can then navigate to any waypoint I want to. That's the best way to find all those little honey holes that you would never know was there. The only cost is a good GPS and a good topo map software. If anyone is looking for a good Colorado Topo for their Garmin, I highly recommend checking out "abovethetimber.com".

It amazes me how many people will pay $300 or more for a good GPS and then never learn how to use it. It can do alot more for you then just keeping you from getting lost.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

One story to add about using the method I just posted. Three years ago we decided to hunt an area we had never been to before 2 weeks before 2nd rifle. We got OTC tags and could only hunt the last half of the season due to planned engagements. I did that method during those 2 weeks. We got out there in the exact places we wanted to (meadows 2 miles in) and I got my 1st elk.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

I use google earth for scouting and when I just want to get out of my office for a few minutes. It's a nice mental break to take a virtual walk on my hunting spots after not seeing the sun for 8 hours. As far as the terrain feature, it can be kind of hard to see the subtle dips and hills in the field, but if you turn the elevation exaggeration up to 3 (in tools --> options) you can see all the nuances very clearly. Also, the ruler feature is handy for measuring the distance between landmarks if you don't always have access to a range finder.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HuntRadar
Before you leave your office and step into your deer stand, check out www.huntradar.com It's an app for your iphone and/or mobile device. The Android app is coming soon. Even better, it's free! Thanks and good luck this season. --Huntergirl

Do you have an app that I can get control of a satallite with? That's all I want.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
Do you have an app that I can get control of a satallite with? That's all I want.
No but a new "drone" app is coming soon.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default It's just a coincidence

But hunters with military training and map reading skills have been using topo maps, in one form or other, for decades.

Did a lot of solo hunting, as some of my aquaintances had no idea how to use a compass and topo map and not get lost.

Spent many a hunt on public and private land as if it were my own private preserve. It's getting easier with the computer maps and gps and even for the untrained. But I'm seeing a lot less of something. And that is staying fit, as more hunters, and people in general, are gaining a lot of excess body weight. It's one thing to know where it is on a map. Another thing to be fit to hike in and out, with a tree stand on the back.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Spike

I've been doing a lot of looking at WMAs in other states as well as my own. I know sometimes it can be hard to determine WMA boundaries and such but then I stumbled upon a great new way to look at GE for scouting.

There are files that you can download which are like a plugin for GE, these ".kml" files can be saved to your computer then you add a new network link in your GE and it pinpoints these areas. Some states have all of their public hunting and fishing grounds plotted out in these plugins.

Here's a link to another forum where the topic was discussed further.
http://www.bayoubucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14851

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.