Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Any colorado muley/whitetail hunters out there? >

Any colorado muley/whitetail hunters out there?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Any colorado muley/whitetail hunters out there?

Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 AM
Spike

Default Any colorado muley/whitetail hunters out there?

I might as well be new to hunting, the last time i went was when i was about 12 w/ my dad, and claimed my 1st small whitetail rack. I'm stuck in the sandbox right now, but when i get back to the states, i'll be stationed at Ft Carson, Colorado again.
Colorado Hunters- do you mostly hunt from a tree stand? or stalk?
Where do you hunt- the open, rolling plains, or more in the woods?
And i heard that it's kind of hard to get game tags in colorado, what's the deal w/ that?
Any info you Colorado hunters could give me would be awesome. Thanks
Old 10-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

I live in Colorado. I elk hunt in the nw and am going deerhunting this weekened kinda on the eastern plains, they have mulie/whitetail where im going
Old 10-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

It's not hard to get tags, you just have to do it early. Deer, antelope, turkey, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, mountain lion, and others are all done by the draw, as are some elk tags. The only over-the-counter tags are bull elk for certain areas and bear. For bear, you have to have a deer or elk tag first, then you can buy a bear tag (since baiting and dogs are illegal in Colorado, the only real way to hunt them is to hunt deer / elk, and shoot a bear if you happen to see one).

I think the cutoff dates for tag draws are usually in March or April, but I don't recall exactly. If you're going for bighorn sheep or mountain goat, get ready for some disappointment. You'll have to build up some preference points AND get lucky before you ever get a tag.

Deer is hit-and-miss depending on where you want to hunt. Some management areas get tags easily, others not. I usually have to build up two or three preference points to get a tag near Gunnison, but whenever I'm hunting elk down there I practically trip over deer. Of course, I always put in for either sex tags, so that may affect it somewhat. They have antler size restrictions there, too; other areas don't.

I hunt deer near Gunnison, elk near Greeley, and antelope near Hugo (eastern plains). I haven't hunted turkey but I'd like to try some national forest area in Teller county, where the Meriam turkey is supposedly plentiful. The best bet if private land, but since you're on FT Carson get to know some of the range control guys. There are ways to hunt on FT Carson, but you're at the whim of range control, and of course they won't let you hunt in a training area occupied by a unit.

There is lots of national forest in Colorado; most of it is open to hunting, but your best bet is always private land.

Also keep in mind if you live on post there are lots of restrictions on storing personal firearms. Check with your chain of command. Living off post is always the best way to go.

Your mileage may vary on ways to hunt. Each species is different, has different behaviors, different defenses (scent, etc.), so should be hunted differently.

Last edited by mac266; 10-17-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 AM
Fork Horn

Deer are a draw status, Elk can be purchased over counter. DOW will have draw apps available on line....usually in Feburary. www.wildlife.state.co.us

How much longer you got in the box? Some good areas south and west of Carson.
Dan
Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Spike

Deer are a draw status, Elk can be purchased over counter. DOW will have draw apps available on line....usually in Feburary. www.wildlife.state.co.us
So- a draw is where u go and put your name in, and only a certain number who apply get the tag? sorry, just never heard of that in Indiana. Maybe I'll have to go for an elk if i can't get a deer tag.

How much longer you got in the box? Some good areas south and west of Carson.
Dan
Looks like we'll be packing up around February, should be home by march. you live near Colorado springs?

kyle
Old 10-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

So- a draw is where u go and put your name in, and only a certain number who apply get the tag? sorry, just never heard of that in Indiana. Maybe I'll have to go for an elk if i can't get a deer tag.
You'll apply for each species at the same time. You'll have to decide where in the state you want to hunt and with with method such as archery, MZ, or rifle and then choose a season. For isntance with elk you can hunt archery season, or MZ, or one of several rifle seasons. Deer is by draw only for the whole state, elk has some OTC tags.
Your method of hunting will be determined by species, weapon choice, and terrain. You may end up in a tree stand along a river on the eastern plains with a bow in your hands looking for a deer, or you may be in the National Forest with a rifle spot and stalking elk.
When you put in for the draw, if unsuccessful, you'll be given a preference point. There are areas that take several PP's, or years, to draw a tag but there are areas that you could draw a tag every year.
You'll have lots of research when the time comes when deciding what you want to hunt, when you want to hunt, and with what weapon you want to use. It's really not that difficult but when you've never looked at the regs. before, it can seem almost over whelming.
Thank You for your service.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Nope, I'm about 60 miles north of Springs.....SW Littleton. Columbine..actually. Stay in touch and we'll see if we can talk you through some of this stuff. My kids have gone on to other intrests...leaves the old got to hunt and punch paper...LOL.Also, what kind of firearms you gonna use?
Meanwhile...stay safe!
Dan

Last edited by longknife12; 10-18-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

Let me know when you get back to Ft Carson or email me any time.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:25 AM
Spike

You'll apply for each species at the same time. You'll have to decide where in the state you want to hunt and with with method such as archery, MZ, or rifle and then choose a season. For isntance with elk you can hunt archery season, or MZ, or one of several rifle seasons. Deer is by draw only for the whole state, elk has some OTC tags.
Your method of hunting will be determined by species, weapon choice, and terrain. You may end up in a tree stand along a river on the eastern plains with a bow in your hands looking for a deer, or you may be in the National Forest with a rifle spot and stalking elk.
When you put in for the draw, if unsuccessful, you'll be given a preference point. There are areas that take several PP's, or years, to draw a tag but there are areas that you could draw a tag every year.
You'll have lots of research when the time comes when deciding what you want to hunt, when you want to hunt, and with what weapon you want to use. It's really not that difficult but when you've never looked at the regs. before, it can seem almost over whelming.
Thank You for your service.
Howler
you're welcome
yeah, this whole process is new to me, but i'm sure i'll catch on. so they section land off into units, and then u have to apply for a tag to hunt in a specific unit? Thanks for the info,

Nope, I'm about 60 miles north of Springs.....SW Littleton. Columbine..actually. Stay in touch and we'll see if we can talk you through some of this stuff. My kids have gone on to other intrests...leaves the old got to hunt and punch paper...LOL.Also, what kind of firearms you gonna use?
Meanwhile...stay safe!
Dan

longknife12
Littleton- that's not too far at all. Do you hunt close to home, or travel elsewhere? Too bad your kids didn't stick w/ hunting, but i guess it's not for everybody, huh? I'll be using a centerfire rifle, probably in 30-06 or .308. Thanks

also- my biggest concern is whether or not i'll be able to put in for a tag, be it online or at wal-mart or whatever. I still need to do a hunter's safety course, and i can do part of it online, but before i can even register for an online "CRASH" course, i have to register for a conclusion class in colorado. Does anybody know the earliest i can put in for a tag in my situation, and what's the worst case scenario if i don't get home until March?

Last edited by shredder4286; 10-19-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Wink

Yup, gotta get that hunter safety out of the way first......then, ya worry about tags n draws....06/308....I load for both of em. I usta hunt NW part of state....pine beetles have done a real number on it....kinda exploring some areas SW of me ....currently, I've got a private place about 15 minutes from my front door.....invite only....kinda miss the camp scene.
Stay in touch, we'll get ya through this mess!LOL
Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.