Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

North American Super Slam

Old 10-01-2010, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow...

<==== Green with envy...
Old 10-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
grand slam club/ovis

seems to keep track of all that info...

I think "grand slam" magazine updates all that info...

they now have the "super ten" as well as the "super slam"
..........just another way to make a buck and they know these guys can aford the fees.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JRDANIELS
Your right. I counted 10 animals on the list that I could take in Wyoming. I counted both whitetail and mule deer but only one of those counts. So ya I can take 9 out of the 10 in Wyoming if you can draw the tags.

You can only count 1 if you have both mule and whitetail deer?
Sounds like pretty stupid logic to me, since they are no more or less than the different than between a mule and a caribou. Both are deer.

British Columbia has mule and whitetails plus blacktail and sitka blacktail. Also Mountain Caribou, rocky mountain elk, canada moose, mountain goat, stone sheep,rocky mtn bighorn sheep,california bighorn sheep, black bear, and mt lion all OTC tags.
There is also draws for grizzly, bison, rossy elk, and dall sheep, plus tons of wolves. Not sure how many are on this list of theirs but I have hunted most of these animals succsesfully DYI.

Last edited by tangozulu; 10-01-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was thinking about this some more when I should have been working and I doubt I will ever attempt to make one of these lists.

I just don't think I would get the same thrill going on a guided Yukon moose hunt as I do on a DIY elk or mule deer hunt. Shooting a nice caribou seems to be related more to having the money to go on the hunt, rather than being a good hunter.

I would love to shoot a Rocky Mountain Bighorn because they are such a majestic animal, but I'll have to settle on shooting a free ranging Aoudad sheep here in Texas or in New Mexico. I would feel better about hunting a free ranging Oryx in New Mexico on the missile range than paying to go on a guided caribou hunt.

To each there own I guess. Maybe I'll splurge someday and go on a guided hunt and realize that I've been missing out this whole time.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by tangozulu
You can only count 1 if you have both mule and whitetail deer?
Sounds like pretty stupid logic to me, since they are no more or less than the different than between a mule and a caribou. Both are deer.
Actually, it seems like a fairly logical way to break things out in order to get to a "Super 10"... One cat, one deer (out of 5 types), one bear (out of 4 types), one caribou (out of 5 subspecies), one elk (3 subspecies), one sheep, one goat, etc. Here's a link to the application. http://www.superslam.org/pdf/SuperTen-application.pdf Technically, aren't the various deer, caribou, elk and moose are all "deer"?

British Columbia has mule and whitetails plus blacktail and sitka blacktail. Also Mountain Caribou, rocky mountain elk, canada moose, mountain goat, stone sheep,rocky mtn bighorn sheep,california bighorn sheep, black bear, and mt lion all OTC tags.
There is also draws for grizzly, bison, rossy elk, and dall sheep, plus tons of wolves. Not sure how many are on this list of theirs but I have hunted most of these animals succsesfully DYI.
Must be nice to live in such a diverse region.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Spike

where could a person find the list of animal in the grand slam or the super slam???
Old 10-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BC Cowboy
where could a person find the list of animal in the grand slam or the super slam???
black bear
grizzly
brown
polar

cougar

whitetail deer
mule
coues
sitka blacktail
columbia blacktail

rocky mtn elk
roosevelt
tule

mountain caribou
woodland
quebec labrador
barren ground
central canadian barren ground

canada moose
alaska-yukon
shiras

bison
musk ox

american mountain goat

pronghorn antelope

dall sheep
stone
rocky mtn. bighorn or california bighorn
desert bighorn
Old 10-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Spike

so if you harvest everyone of those animals you have completed what? And I thought I heard something along the lines of every species needed to be a book animal... any validity to that?
Old 10-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BC Cowboy
so if you harvest everyone of those animals you have completed what? And I thought I heard something along the lines of every species needed to be a book animal... any validity to that?
1 of each of those 29 makes the super slam or grand slam of NA I believe.

1 from each group makes the "Super Ten"

I'm not sure if does/cows qualify or not, I don't see why they wouldn't, and no each animal does not have to be a "book" animal.

pretty sure no one has ever taken the full list to make pope n young, let alone boone and crockett.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

super slam application sheet, all 29...

http://www.superslam.org/pdf/SuperSlam-application.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.