Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hoochie mama elk call.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah go ahead and have everybody and their brother blasting out calls from opening weekend on and see how many bulls you get that's bigger than a 4x4 raghorn. Maybe in a limited draw unit. People over call and don't let the situation dictate the calling. Educate the elk some more I like it, means bigger bulls next year.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:26 AM
Typical Buck

Come back to apologize didn't mean to sound gruff. So many hunters are going into the woods calling all day long walking around with a call stuck in their mouth tooting it like a boy with his first whistle. In a lot of area's I think calls are overused and abused. I've seen hunters calling in an open field and then talking afterwards. Insanity I tell ya. I've called in my fair share of elk but over the last ten years I've just shut my call up and went to the elk with a lot better results. Being in a OTC unit elk have became very wise to calling. The best thing still going is a reed if you can manage it. Plus it's hands free.

A lot of hunters should have someone audio tape them. I've heard a lot of elephants in the woods lately.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

No apology needed here. I just know that our group of 5 killed 4 bulls this archery season, in an OTC unit even. Smallest was a 5x5 and the largest a 325" 6x6. I'll admit that only 2 off them were killed when they came to the calls, but we got results none the less and as warm as it was this year, I think we did pretty good.
Also, we hunt hard and put a lot of days in the forest. The 2 guys from out of state only hunted 10 days, I hunted 12 days, and the other two hunted 16 days each which helps in the success department.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:44 AM
Spike

I have called in a couple bulls just calling with the HM but have had more success using the HM and a mouth call just like some of the others on this site. But I would never discount the Call but that is just my opinion and I always carry it with me during archery season just cause you never know what the bull is going to like and go crazy for.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

"you never know what the bull is going to like and go crazy for."

That is a good point. It seems one day they will respond to one call and another they won't, but will to a call they ignored before.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

A professional elk guide asking about diaphrams(replied to your other thread)???? Not thinking about using a squeeze call in combo???? That's how i used the HM. Now I just stick to diaphrams and can herd talk without switching.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
Have you called in a elk with it? Or have you been carrying it when killing a elk? Do you use the hoochie mama or the hoochie calf? Cabelas ratings on the hoochie mama are pretty bad. Have you compared it with a mouth call?
Well there you go from the experts mouth i guess... I cant argue with the online warriors they have much more time than i do!! The HM call that we have used works great at getting bulls attention and even bringing them in, it has even stopped and turned them when they were taking off. I have used the mouth calls, and I still do, but everything in time and place, and HM call has always been a performer for me...
Old 10-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I am not trying to be an a-hole when I ask this but is this your first year guiding?

Because I honestly can't believe that a professional elk guide has never tried a hoochie mama in the several years that it has been on stores shelves, has never used multiple calls in conjunction with each other to sound like multiple elk, and a professional guide would be relying on "cabelas reviews" to determine if he should use a call or not with paying clients.

Seems to me that a guide would want to have this all figured out before he used a clients paid hunt as a guinea pig.

I know if I were a paying client I would want my guide to know what calls work and what calls don't seem to produce the results (bulls) on a regular basis.

Just sayin ya might want to think about it.
Well said!! And i couldnt agree more!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:06 AM
Spike

My brother and I called one to us on a ridge where we were sitting last Friday. When we saw him he was a good 1/2 mile away and came right to us. 330-340 class bull.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Blackelk
Come back to apologize didn't mean to sound gruff. So many hunters are going into the woods calling all day long walking around with a call stuck in their mouth tooting it like a boy with his first whistle. In a lot of area's I think calls are overused and abused. I've seen hunters calling in an open field and then talking afterwards. Insanity I tell ya. I've called in my fair share of elk but over the last ten years I've just shut my call up and went to the elk with a lot better results. Being in a OTC unit elk have became very wise to calling. The best thing still going is a reed if you can manage it. Plus it's hands free.

A lot of hunters should have someone audio tape them. I've heard a lot of elephants in the woods lately.
No need to apologize, spot on to me. As for the HM, I don't care for the sound.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.