Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

165gr for elk

Old 10-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

My opinion save the corelokts for deer/cats,etc and use the barnes you have loaded. Assume you've shot the barnes, used them and know they'll work. Rather be over then under when it comes to elk.

I could have used my 338/225gr paper/plinking load this year for elk but stuck with a proven go getter 225gr barnes and result was 1 shot, notched tag and full freezer.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Core Lokt's are my favorite bullets. I hand load and often will load a special round for extreme distance, other than this application, ALL my work ups are Core Lokt bullets. The most dependable bullet at very reasonable prices.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:32 AM
Typical Buck

Skeeter7mm,

Just curious what did you shoot before the Barnes? And are you talking about the Barnes X bullet?
Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 AM
Spike

150 gr Core-Lokt out of my '06 for deer. Federal 165 gr NP when I go to Colorado.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Blackelk
Skeeter7mm,

Just curious what did you shoot before the Barnes? And are you talking about the Barnes X bullet?
Nosler Partitions, Failsafes, etc. I didn't care for the original x bullet but the TSX has been awesome.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I killed a bunch of elk and watched a lot of elk be killed before I knew there was anything besides corelokts.

I would rather use a larger grain but the 165 grain remmies are shooting stupid accurate out of my A-bolt. No need to change.