Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

calling moose

Old 09-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Spike

Default calling moose

Anyone have advice on calling moose, or general tips for locating them? I have an early October hunt planned in Idaho.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am not sure about Idaho, but here the bulls should be pairing up by then. Normally in late September a bull grunt tube works quite well. The first week of October here this can give you mixed results. I would go with a cow call to try and draw a bull out. If you are hunting the 2nd week then I would deffinately go with a cow call. The idea would be to draw a bull out away from a cow. I would recommend a little practice prior to your hunt as well. Calling moose out can be enjoyable as long as you do not over call. I would give a couple of calls and wait for at least 15 to 20 minutes before trying to call again. The chances are a bull may not answer your cow call but will come out if he is around. To locate them in September I would go with either a coffee can or a bull grunt tube and they answer those farely well if they are around.
Feel free to check out some of my pics..You will see a couple I have called out up here. Good Luck to you.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 09-03-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I have had good luck just calling with my hands cupped around my mouth and moaning like a cow. I have tried the coffee can with string too and that is good. I have actually gotten myself in trouble after calling them in too close. They seem to move slowly but when they get excited or agitated they can close the gap in a hurry. My worst was actually a calf. It must have been orphaned and was all alone and I could see it 150 yds away and started to cow call just for chits and giggles. Down the hill it came bawling all the way and wouldn't leave me alone. Calves aren't that big but it still was the size of a small horse and ran right up to me with a weird look in the eye. I finally had to club it with a dead branch just to get away.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Last year during muzzleloader season I was blowing a "Bull Hooker" elk cow call and had a bull moose come charging my way then he stopped and wouldn't come in any more. I should note, I was elk hunting.

Look for areas with a lot of water such as beaver ponds or marshy meadows.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like said water is a key as it holds veg. they feed on. Natural grasses, aquatic plants, willows, etc.

In terms of calling I prefer cow bellars to begin with if the rut is on. In pre rut bull calls and raking works well. Grunts and raking also work well when a bull hangs up on you. For raking a sturdy stick, paddle or beef or larger game shoulder blade work well. The paddle and shoulder blades can also be used as visual for an approaching bull. Moose eyesight isn't great but they pick up the flash of an antler at long distance. Most times cupped hands with a pinch of the nose is adequate, however if i need range on my calls I use a birchbark megaphone. Whinny and nasally for cows, when producing a bellar, like a domestic beef cow but in stead of moo its errrah sound and longer in duration then a beef bellar 5-15 seconds worth depending on how many call stacks you do. Bull grunts are basically a owUUH sound. Wait and listen then repeat in 15-20 mins if you get no response.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Get a copy of the video "Love, Thunder, and Bull 2" and one of the fiberglass Bull Magnet calls. After that it's pretty straight forward.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Up here they should be starting to move with in a week. I may go give it a try to see if I can get a few more pics of the big ones.. They tend to start coming up out of some of those bogs and hitting those cuttings from a couple of years ago. They love thos new saplings to rub thier antlers on and to eat the tops off them.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:35 AM
Dominant Buck

One of my friends has a son who drew a tag here in Vt. He wants me to go with him on a scouting trip in a couple of weeks. I might take him up on it just to see a few.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 AM
Spike

Up here, bulls are starting to get active. #1 water with good vegetation. #2 i dont practice my call where i hunt and dont over call.

Denis
Old 09-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Spike

Good stuff, thanks to all... Been fine tuning my moose cow mouth call. Elk are bugling earlier than usual here do to unseasonably cold, so timetables for moose may also be a little earlier this fall. What a wonderful time of year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.