Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
30-06 grain for deer and elk. >

30-06 grain for deer and elk.

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

30-06 grain for deer and elk.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I found in my 06's that the Barnes 180 gr TSX shot much more accurately then the Nosler Partition in 180 gr. The TSX is a devastating bullet for elk and deer.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would shoot either of the two loads you have listed.

Shoot each of them enough to see which shoots the tightest groups at 100 yards.

Then get one or two more boxes of that ammo, and sight in dead on at 200 yards.

You will be set to go.

Out to 300 yards, there isn't enough difference in drop between a 150 grain to 180 grain bullet to even notice a difference on a game animal.

The 180 will out penetrate the 165, which will out penetrate the 150 of the same bullet - ie - All of the being Accubonds, or all Partitions, etc.

And the Accubond IS a good all-around bullet!

Later,

Marcial
Old 09-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

I lean towards heavy bullets in general. I have taken elk with 165 grain bullets and had complete pass thrus so a well built 165 is adaquate.

But I really like the 200 grain accubond because it has such a high BC that is nearly as flat shooting as the 180s and penetrates better.

I think the heavy bullets do less meat damage on deer.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you have to use a premium bullet for cow elk. Cows are smaller than the bulls, and you will probably be shooting reasonable ranges at undisturbed animals on a meat hunt. Your .30-06's velocity will not cause the problems with bullet construction that can happen with excessive speed. I like a 165 for this type of hunt, but a 180 would be a good choice.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

I've been shooting the Winchester Super X, pointed soft points, 165 gr. for years. I've killed a number of elk, deer, and antelope with them. They are a bit over kill for deer and antelope, but I like to use the same round for everything. They group well out of my Savage.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I don't think you have to use a premium bullet for cow elk. Cows are smaller than the bulls, and you will probably be shooting reasonable ranges at undisturbed animals on a meat hunt.
Sorry, I just have to ask. How much smaller is a mature cow than a young bull? Or any bull??

Just how much more "undisturbed" will the cows be than the bulls??

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 09-03-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Sorry, I just have to ask. How much smaller is a mature cow than a young bull? Or any bull??

Just how much more "undisturbed" will the cows be than the bulls??
My experience is a bit limited on elk. I have killed something over 25 bulls and a similar number of cows, and have never actually weighed one. I have shot bulls that were much heavier (and tougher) than any cow, but a spike is near the size of a large cow.
When I am cow hunting I will only shoot if the cow has not been running ragged with her tounge hanging out, since the purpose is to get good meat. Usually there are more oportunities to find an undisturbed cow than a big old bull, and with bull hunting sometimes you have to take a less than ideal shot.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only point that I was trying to make is that cows and bull are close enought to the same that I wouldn't use less of a bullet to kill one or the other. I've cleaned some huge cows. And I have never been able to tell the difference in the toughness of a cow and a bull. Not enough to make a different bullet decision.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I've cleaned some huge cows. And I have never been able to tell the difference in the toughness of a cow and a bull.
We all have diferent experiences. I always use heavy premium bullets on bull hunts (such as a NP). I have taken quartering shots at bulls that I would not have taken on a cow hunt, and I have shot bulls that were quite a bit larger than any cow that I have cleaned. The shots that I take on a cow hunt are always broadside, and probably at a closer average range.
I have shot some big bulls that were tough enough to take a well placed shot and still run down to the bottom of some hellhole before calling it quits.
It is my opinion that any good (fairly heavy for caliber) bullet traveling at .30-06 velocities will do an effective job on a calm broadside elk at reasonable ranges.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Accubond 165 gr. would be a great choice for deer hunting. I shoot a 308 Win and like both the Accubond and factory Remington, Core Lokt in 150 gr.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.