Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Your favorite bear bait?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Banned

Default Your favorite bear bait?

What would be your first choise(s) for fall bear bait? I'm here in SE Wyoming if that makes a difference.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

I have been taught a very slick way to bait and we do it up here with dog food. Cheap, no name brand. In barrel with a lid and a few 1/4 inch holes drilled in the sides. Chain barrel to tree. Pour a bottle of corn syrup or mollases in the barrel on the dog food. Bears will roll barrel around and dog food falls out holes. Takes them a few days to empty a 20 lb bag of dog food. Bait once a week that way.

A bear from last week who has been rolling the barrel around. I also poured corn syrup on the tree and that's hwat he is licking.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Banned

With 1/4" holes, how do they get to the dog food?

I have dog food!!

I have mollasis!!

I'm gonna do it. A guy at work catches carp and lets them rot for bait.
He says any spoiled meat . . . chicken, beef, turkey, . . . but I like to eat those!!
Thanks.

Last edited by dig4gold; 08-25-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Rotten meat is not a good bait, it will work but not as well as the above idea or anything sweet. Alot of bakery's through out tones of good bait a week donuts,bread, cake, the best part is that its free.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

The idea is that they can't "get" to the dog food. Instead they have to roll the barrel around and the dog food falls out the holes and then they eat it.

So instead of one bear coming and gorging himself and then leaving an empty barrel they sit there for awhile slowly eating morsels of dog food.

If you can go in and bait every day or second day then that's great but what a pain!

This keeps them around the bait site for days and allows you to only go in 1 a week or so and replensih bait.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Spike

here in Maine the dog food trick does not work well unless you can get in an area that is away from other baits. We use bakery items and caramel for our sites and we refill them every day. If a bear around here cannot get a good amount of food in short order then they will just find another bait site where the food is easy to get. One of our sites has five bear that show up regularly. We are pretty sure that these bear are all living within 500 yards of the bait site.

Last Wednesday we videoed 5 bear in the last hour of daylight with no shot(long story) and last night my daughter finally shot her first bear which we hopefully can recover today.