Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Antelope

Old 08-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Spike

Default Wyoming Antelope

September is not coming fast enough.
I have a question is for any of you that have had any experience hunting antelope unit 93. What should my expectations be? I'm really just looking for a fun hunt. But I don't want to shoot the first good buck knowing there are bigger out there. I have some family in Kemmerer that I will be visiting soon to do some scouting around.Should I concentrate my efforts in a certain area more than another? I guess I have a lot of questions but any information out there that might help me out would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned

Not specifically familiar with the Kemmerer area, but in general Antelope archery terms, get in a blind and sit on a water hole/tank all day from dark 'till dark. Scouting is good. No reason to sit where they haven't been frequenting.
You would be smart to check where they cross UNDER fences. (They almost never jump over them) This is a good spot to wait and ambush too. Talk to locals and landowners, most everybody wants goats shot off of their pproperty. The G&F pays the landowner $13.00 for every one of them tooo! Your tag has a property owner section that gets turned into the P.O.
Do you know how too judge a goood Lope from a bad? (Their are no bad.......... the meat is very tasty cleaned and cooled fast)
Old 08-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have you hunted antelope before? ever taken one?

They're rather difficult to judge IMO...

this a gun or bow hunt?

also depends what your definition of the 1st good buck you see is...?

look for MASS and PRONGS...length without the other 2 means nothing. but to each their own as well...

good luck!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Spike

Thanks for your input. I should have a better idea after this weekend of the areas in the unit. I haven't hunted antelope since I was 16 that was almost 20 years ago. I'm also going with a friend who has never shot any big game in his life. He has been hunting but hasn't had the chance to seal the deal on anything yet. That will all change I'm sure after this hunt. Ill post some pictures after our scouting trip.
How is the hunting pressure the first few days? We are thinking of getting there the first week end and seeing how it goes if nothing we will come back as it calms down a bit.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Banned

An antelopes ears are right at 6-7" long. The horns shoud be at least double that and THEN curl back. Use the eyes to judge the mass at the base os the horns. Bigger is better in scoring lopes. Width of horns has no effect on score! Long, large cutters are also a good thing. If they are longer than the width of the horn, then that is pretty good.
If you guys are rifle hunting, you can't practice shooting out to 200+ yards enough. Know your balistics (bullet drop). Some guys even tape a "cheat sheet" on the stock of theiir rifle. No shame in that if it means an ethical hit or a miss, or even worse, wounding.
Openning day/weekend is usualy nuts everywhere. Lopes will become very wary very quick. A car door will send a herd into a 60 mile an hour escape run!
Good luck.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Spike

I just got back from a great scouting trip to check out the unit and see what some of the Antelope are like. I had a lot of fun. Sometimes scouting is a little easier. There is a lot less pressure when you don't have a gun. We saw a lot of bucks. Three real good ones and one really good one. I took a picture of a few that we saw. I didn't get a pic of the big one though. For me the excitement just builds even greater now.

Group of small Bucks off the side of the road

nice Buck

Good Buck

Good buck
Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Spike

I love hunting antelope! If you are hunting with a gun, lace up the boots, start walking and glassing. That is so much fun! If I keep going on about how much fun it is to hunt Antelope, I might find myself driving West this fall looking for OTC tags and access.

Good luck with your hunt.